Dance Leotards - Combining Comfort and Flexibility of Movement
Whether your passion is gymnastics, contemporary/classical dance, or yoga, dance leotards are an essential item of clothing. You put them on and promptly forget about them because their fit is so comfortable that they dont hamper movement. Due to these attributes, dance leotards are increasingly being worn as a fashion item. With a pair of leggings or skinny jeans, they can be worn all year round either as a standalone top or layered up. Whatever your reason for purchasing one and whatever your budget, eBay has a wide selection of dance leotards to suit everyone.How can you choose the right dance leotard?
Before buying a dance leotard, you should consider the following factors:
- Type: A classic leotard might be sold alone, or have attached or matching accessories.
- Colour: Apart from the classic black, you can find leotards in all colours.
- Size: Leotards are usually sized by age (children 3-14) or by UK dress sizes, but always check the manufacturers sizing chart.
- Material: Theyre commonly made of cotton or nylon, often with an elastane/lycra/spandex blend.
- Neckline: Leotards often have a round/boat neck, but theyre also available with a polo, halter, or V-neck.
- Sleeves: Choose between short, three-quarter, or long sleeves, or you might prefer a sleeveless dance leotard (with spaghetti straps).
- Decoration: Leotards might have motifs and/or finish in sequins, glitter, lace, and/or rhinestones.
Some dance leotards are sold with matching accessories, such as a tutu, voile skirt, leggings (both footless or with stirrups), or an irregular skirt. These might be attached to the leotard or be detachable. If your dance leotard is sold alone, all these accessories for dancers can be purchased separately on eBay.What is the best material for dance leotards?
The fabric of a leotard should stretch enough to allow ease of movement, but it should also fit closely to the body. The most common materials for dance leotards are:
- Pure cotton: This material keeps dancers warmer in winter, but these leotards tend to lose their shape/colour more quickly than synthetic materials.
- Cotton/elastane blend: This fabric contains natural fibres which allow the body to breathe, but you should go up a size to allow for possible shrinkage after washing.
- Lycra/Spandex: This material is both long-lasting and flexible, but its unsuitable with performance costumes as it wont support decorations.
- Stretch velvet: Although this has less give than other fabrics, it has a soft feel and looks great with performance costumes.