Shop by Type
Shop by Brand
Hot this week
- FRENCH HORN OR TROMBONE ROTARY VALVE STRING/CORD PER METRE£1.957 left
- NEOPRENE ROTOR VALVE STOP - RUBBER BUMPERS (PACK OF 2)£3.9510 left
- Horn Mouthpiece rims by PHC, made in England£30.004 sold
- Horn mouthpiece cups by PHC made in England£35.003 sold
- ROTOR STOP CORKS FOR FRENCH HORN/ TROMBONE ROTARY VALVE£1.953 sold
- Horn Mouthpiece Rims PHC ; Made In England£30.002 sold
- STEINER HIGH TECH POWER PRO ROTOR VALVE CORD/STRING£3.501 sold
- Horn Mouthpiece Cups by PHC ; Made in England£45.001 sold
- Sliver Copper Alloy French Horn Mouthpiece For Conn / King French Horn BF£2.51
- French Horn Mouthpiece - Gold Plated - Brand New JI£2.92
- Denis Wick DW5885 5N French Horn Mouthpiece£47.59MSRP Previous price£55.15
- French Horn Mouthpiece - Gold Plated - Brand New I5X9£2.60
- Durable Stylish Professional French Horn Mouthpiece Silver Color Brand New£3.87
- 13X R645 Sliver Copper Alloy French Horn Mouthpiece For Conn / King French Horn£27.17
- Denis Wick DW5525 French Horn Stopping Mute£57.77
Got one to sell?
Get it in front of 17+ million UK buyers.
You may also like
Make an offer
- CHASE French Horn Bb Outfit + Case - Student to Advanced Player£199.99Free postageMake offer
- John Packer JP161 French Horn Single Bb - excellent condition£93.104d 4h+ £0.00 postageMake offer
- Alexander Mainz 103 Full Double French Horn Screw Bell£3,374.0221h 54m+ £22.75 postageMake offer
The french horn, often referred to as a horn, is part of the brass instrument family. It is used in a number of different genres of music including orchestral, big band and jazz.
This instrument is designed in a coil shape with a flared bell, and is often tuned to F and sometimes B♭. There are many variations of the French Horn, including a range of valves.
The mouthpiece of this instrument is described as different from other brass instruments, with the ability to range across four octaves.
Notable French Horn players include:
- Vincent DeRosa – played for Hollywood composers
- Dennis Brain – former principal horn for the Royal Philharmonic
- John Cerminaro – former principal horn for the Seattle Symphony, New York Philharmonic, and Los Angeles Philharmonic
- Ewan McGregor – actor
- Jon Stewart – TV presenter
- John Entwistle – The Who bassist and vocalist
Varieties of French Horn
- Simple and lightweight
- Ideal for beginners
- Added fourth valve
- Switch from low tones to high easily
- New design
- Incorporates F, B♭ and a descant horn
- Becoming more advanced and popular
- Professional quality
Due to the shape of the instrument, some french horn bells can be detached, making it easier to travel with the instrument. This also provides the flexibility of using different bells on the same French Horn.
The French Horn can be played in a variety of musical genres, with the most common being orchestral and concert bands.
Composers have used the instrument to create sounds from romantic, quiet melodies to strong and dominant fanfares.
Jazz is a genre that the horn is rarely featured in, but still plays a part in pieces by jazz composers.
There are many accessories available to buy for french horns, including:
- Hard cases
- Soft cases for comfort
- Valve oil