Garden Sprinkler Valves
There are many different types of valves, made out of a variety of different materials to suit your needs. Sprinkler valves are usually attached to a hose by a connector and often have a control point on the valve to allow you to change the direction, spray pattern or flow.
Types of sprinkler valves
- Check valves - These are designed to stop the backflow of water, which can help reduce contamination or pollution to the water supply. They work to stop back siphonage and back pressure of the water flowing back inside to the water system
- Flow control valves - These valves, as the name suggests, allow you to control the flow of water leaving the valve. Flow control valves work by restricting the amount of water that is allowed to pass through the valve, this in turn also reduces the water pressure
- Quick relief valves - Designed to protect against excessive water pressure, quick relief valves are made so if the water pressure becomes too high the valve can open quickly to relieve the pressure
- Shut-off valves - A shut off valve allows you to stop the water flow leaving the sprinkler without you having to stop the water at the source
- Splitter valves - These allow you to create a new watering zone using a single line, enabling you to control two zones with a single valve
Valves can be made from a variety of materials, including:
- Plastic - often a cheaper choice of sprinkler valve, these can be easier to install and easier to maintain. With plastic valves, you do not get a buildup of rust, however, they can crack if too much pressure is applied
- Brass - often seen as the mid-range product. They can withstand pressure and temperatures better than the plastic alternatives. Brass valves also have a high resistance to corrosion, allowing them to last longer
- Steel - usually the most expensive valves on the market. They can withstand high pressure and a wider temperature range than both plastic and brass. Although these are the most expensive, they do have a longer life cycle which means they could save you money in the future.