Improve Your Camping Experience With a Heavy-Duty Tarpaulin
A handy amenity for outdoor activities, a sturdy tarpaulin can keep your campsite and equipment dry. A wide variety of tarp styles, colours, and functions is available on eBay. Understanding the features you may need in a tarp can help you choose a satisfactory product.How can you use a heavy-duty tarpaulin?
Tarps are an all-around useful item for hunting, fishing, wild camping, or picnicking. Sturdy and versatile, a heavy-duty waterproof tarp can serve a variety of purposes. Some of the most common include the following:
- Tent footprint: As a tent footprint, tarps provide a layer of protection between your tent and the damp ground.
- Emergency shelter: You can pitch a tarp close to the ground to provide shelter from the sun, rain, and wind.
- Waterproofing: Lash a coated tarpaulin over food, clothing, and gear to help keep out water. Tarps can also discourage some insect and animal activity.
- Containment: Keep your equipment in one place by rolling or folding it inside a tarp.
- Firewood and vehicle cover: Tarps can cover firewood, equipment, and vehicles to help keep them dry.
Keep in mind the place and time you want to use your tarp. Some considerations might be the tarp's weight, reflectiveness, or colour. Other features to consider include the following:
- Durability: Has your tarp been made to last? Many heavy-duty tarpaulins for sale on eBay feature UV protection or plastic coating. This coating helps slow deterioration from sun or weather.
- Grommets: Your new or lightly used tarpaulin may come with reinforced holes called grommets. Grommets along the sides and the corners provide options for tying down or pitching a tarp. Super heavy-duty tarps often have grommets lined with metal or sturdy plastic.
- Tear resistance: Tarpaulins often feature tear-resistant fabric. Tear-resistant fabric helps keep a minor tear in a side or surface from getting larger.
- Waterproofing: Look for water-resistant or plastic-coated fabrics to help protect wood, gear, or tools.
The larger or more durable a tarp is, the more it generally weighs. One reasonably-priced tarpaulin may weigh more than a less expensive model. See the manufacturer site for details.What is a heavy-duty tarpaulin made of?
Most heavy-duty tarps are made of PVC plastic or canvas with a polyurethane coat. These materials and coatings increase durability and waterproofing.