Left Handed electric Guitars
An electric guitar is a classic instrument in popular music, with many famous guitarists and guitar based bands having become popular since the early days of rock and roll in the 1950s.
Non guitarists, though, might not be aware that there is such a thing as a left handed guitar. The reason for this is that the guitar is designed to be played with two hands – your dominant hand plucking or strumming the strings, while the other hand holds the strings in particular patterns to create the sound of different notes.
The way the guitar is set up is to have the lowest note at the top of the body, with the higher notes lower down, so a right handed guitar is strung incorrectly for a left handed player.
Types of Left Handed Electric Guitar
There are various different types and brands of left handed electric guitar, including:
- Solid body electric guitars – a classic electric guitar shape, as seen being used by many famous guitar players
- Hollow body electric guitars – these are guitars that are capable of being played without electrification (acoustically), as they have a hollow body that helps reverberate the sound within the guitar itself to amplify the sound being made. There are also such things as semi hollow electric guitars which operate on a similar principle
- Fender left handed electric guitars – one of the all time classic manufacturers of guitar, Fender is very famous for its well known models, such as the Stratocaster and Telecaster
- Gibson left handed electric guitars – another of the very famous guitar brands, Gibson make well known models such as the Les Paul
- Epiphone left handed electric guitars – often associated with The Beatles, Epiphone are another very famous American brand of guitar
- Ibanez left handed electric guitars – a Japanese brand of guitar played by musicians throughout the world
Left Handed Electric Guitar Accessories
- Electric guitar strings – essential as spares for when the originals break
- Electric guitar strap – so you can stand upright while playing your left handed electric guitar
- Electric guitar plectrum – to use in your dominant hand for playing the strings
- Electric guitar case – for storing and transporting your guitar. Can be soft or hard bodied