MEINL cymbals are at the top end of the spectrum in both quality and price and are often added to existing budget kits to produce a better 'crash' sound than less expensive brands.
Manufactured in Germany by MEINL Percussion, these high end cymbalscome in various styles, each giving a different tonal quality.
The Byzance cymbal series are hand hammered, and come in six different tonal types – hence the MEINL motto 'Six Degrees of Darkness'. Other cymbal series manufactured by MEINL include the M-Series, and the Soundcaster, all of which have a different sound quality.
MEINL also make a signature series for drummers including Lamb of God drummer Chris Adler, and some of their discontinued lines such as Tri-Tonal and King Beat may be of interest to collectors of vintage music memorabilia.
What to expect from your MEINL cymbal
- High quality metal alloy available in brilliant and traditional finish
- Rides, hi hats, crash and splash cymbals for different tonal quality
- Signature series available from world renowned rock and jazz drummers
- Byzance and Soundcaster series used world wide
- Favoured by drummers including Chris Adler and Matt Halpern
- Entry level cymbals available
- Professional cymbals at high end prices
Choosing the right cymbal
Many drummers decide to replace the basic crash, splash and hi-hat cymbals they purchased with their basic kit in order to achieve a better sound quality. MEINL cymbals provide different tones depending on the series of cymbal you buy, so consider what will best suit your drumming style and musical influences before choosing to upgrade to these high end products.
You may also want to consider your budget before upgrading cymbals on your existing drum kit. New cymbals are available from good musical instrument retailers, but you may find that upgrading to a pre-owned MEINL cymbal fits better within your price range.