Outdoor thermometers are typically used for monitoring environmental changes. Many outdoor thermometers are decorative and combine practical function with ornamental features.
Wall mounted designs add focal interest to a garden wall where the temperature can easily be read.
Different styles of outdoor thermometer
- Decorative and ornamental – Thermometers that are decorative and ornamental add visual impact to a garden wall or fence post
- Classic and traditional – Cast iron outdoor thermometers that feature elaborate classic designs are practical and ornamental too. This type of outdoor thermometer includes wall clocks, novelty gardening tools and combined thermometer,hygrometers and clocks
- Practical and functional – Outdoor thermometers that feature a built-in solar light combine two practical uses in one convenient gadget. This style of thermometer is attached to a ground stake and can be easily positioned and repositioned anywhere in the garden. In its most basic form, an outdoor thermometer is a stick on window attachment
Benefits of using an outdoor thermometer
- Environmental monitoring – Outdoor thermometers are most often used to identify temperature patterns
- Ornamental feature – Outdoor thermometers are often displayed as a piece of garden art
Types of outdoor thermometers
- Iron – Cast iron is an excellent material for outdoor thermometers. Decorative pieces that feature creatures and birds are mostly made in cast iron. Wall mounted and hanging thermometers are available in a wide range of distinctive ornamental styles to suit your garden
- Metal – Lighter in weight than cast iron, metal outdoor thermometers are easily attached to any outside wall, fence or post. The designs widely vary in style and range from antique and vintage inspired clocks, and ornamental bird cages, to modern digital thermometers on a stake and the traditional no-frills thermometer
- Wood – Most wooden garden thermometers have a traditional understated shape that clearly displays fahrenheit and celsius readings
- Plastic or resin – Plastic outdoor thermometers are typically plaque shaped and simple in design.