Shop by Brand
Shop by Number of Channels
Save on Pro Audio Amplifiers
- Vox amPlug Series 2 Bass Headphone Guitar Amplifier£36.90 New£24.89 Used
- Vox amPlug Classic Rock Mk2 Headphone Amp£34.86 New£24.94 Used
- Blackstar FLY3 Mini Amp 3 Watt£24.92 New
Hot this week
- Vintage Set Silver Sound City Laney Carlsbro Simms Watts Number Amplifier Knobs£7.958 left
- 28 lug terminal tag strip board pcb blank DIY amplifier amp mod long 10" 260mm£2.5010 left
- Marshall White Piping£2.0013 sold
- Black amplifier radio control knob mushroom pointer 6mm off vintage style£1.7510 sold
- 36 lug terminal tag strip board pcb blank DIY amplifier amp mod turret dual£3.007 sold
- 9 pin valve base preamp tube socket 12AX7 12AT7 ECC83 EL84 ceramic gold nine pcb£1.504 sold
- Marshall Black Elephant Grain Tolex£15.004 sold
- Marshall Amplifier Handle (Gold)£12.004 sold
- Magna 120W 6 Channel Mixer Amplifier£264.60
- Roland Cube Street Battery Powered Stereo Amp£299.42
- L20 V7 Audio power amplifier 1pcs assembled Ultra low crossover distortion£16.49Was: Previous price£17.36
- Roland Mobile-BA£172.40
- VOX Pathfinder 10 - Guitar Practice Amp Combo 10-watt£69.62
- Roland KC350 Keyboard Amplifier£530.37
- Roland Mobile Cube AC Acoustic Amp - Ideal Battery Amplifier for Buskers£181.37
Got one to sell?
Get it in front of 17+ million UK buyers.
You may also like
Make an offer
- behringer powerplay pro xl headphone amp. 4 channel£50.00Free postageMake offer
- 18W Valve Output Transformer 8K to 4,8,16ohm RS Repro£30.00+ £3.50 postageMake offer
- 18W / 20W Valve Mains Transformer 290V CT 120mA, 6.3V 2.5A +1A Laydown£35.00+ £4.00 postageMake offer
Pro Audio Amplifiers
Types of Pro Audio amplifier
- Instrument amplifier - such as a guitar or bass guitar amplifier.
- Mixer amplifier - an audio mixer that is ‘powered’ meaning that it contains a built in amplifier
- Power amplifier - boosts low powered electronic audio signals to a level that they can drive a speaker to create sound
Operating classes of audio amplifiers
- Class A -have the lowest levels of distortion and the best sound, but use a lot of energy and generate heat up whilst in use.
- Class B - are more power efficient that Class A, but do create some distortion.
- Class AB - use two signals to provide efficiency of a Class B and the sound quality of a Class A.
- Class D - are digital have a very high level of efficiency, generate far less heat than a Class A and can be manufactured to be very small, allowing them to be integrated into active speakers, headphones and more.
- Solid state - use software or transistors, and are often cheaper, lighter options that require the least maintenance.
- Tube / vacuum tube / valve - the preference of performers who crave the ‘analogue’ sound consisting of richer tones and a warmer sound, these amps are heavier, more expensive and require maintenance when valves wear out.
- Hybrid - uses a solid state power amp alongside a valve preamp. It gives the warmer sound whilst keeping the amp cheaper and lighter than a valve amplifier.
Matching speakers to amplifiers
If an amplifier does not compliment speakers it is used with, either sound quality will degrade or the speakers may become damaged.
- Power ratings - an amplifier should deliver twice the amount of power as the power rating on a speaker, per speaker. If an amp is going to be used with two speakers then the power delivery needs to be per channel.
- Impedance - stated in ohms, the impedance on the amp should match that of the speakers. This is an important value in determining you do not blow your speaker and will depend on your system setup. Research impedance further if you are unsure.