Choosing the Right Singer Sewing Machine or Serger Machine
An affordable Singer sewing machine can be a good investment if you sew or quilt for a hobby. Buying a used Singer sewing machine can be a smart move if you need a higher-end machine for your business. Understanding the features for sergers and sewing machines can help you sort through the options available in the listings of eBay sewing machines.Choosing the right Singer sewing machine for your needs
There are several points to consider when you are searching for a Singer sewing machine or serger.
- Sewing machine or serger - A sewing machine uses one needle attached to one bobbin; a serger uses up to four needles attached to up to four bobbins. The serger allows you to finish raw edges, create strong quilt seams, and work with delicate fabrics; however, a sewing machine is still essential for single-seam work such as installing zippers, creating buttonholes, and working on topstitching.
- Type of sewing machines - Mechanical, electronic, or embroidery machines are available as used Singer sewing machines.
- Hobby sewing or professional sewing - For hobbyists or basic needs, a basic, mechanical sewing machine will meet most needs. If you are in search of a machine for professional use, you may need a more advanced electronic machine or embroidery machine, and you may also need a serger machine.
Electronic sewing machines differ from mechanical sewing machines in several ways, including:
- Programmable - The main difference between electronic and mechanical Singer sewing machines is the use of computer technology within the electronic sewing machine that allows you to program different sewing stitches and patterns.
- Presser feet - An electronic Singer sewing machine will come equipped with multiple types of presser feet that can be used with different stitches and fabrics.
- Embroidery - Electronic Singer sewing machines at the higher end of pricing may also be embroidery machines, allowing you to scan in different logos and program the embroidery sewing machine to create custom designs on apparel and other products.
Buying a preowned or used Singer sewing machine from eBay can be a smart way to get the features you want at an affordable price. Consider these different conditions of the used Singer sewing machine before making your purchase:
- Overall sewing machine integrity - Look for any signs of rust or cracking to the case of the machine. Any hitches in movement when the machine is operating should be investigated for mechanical issues.
- Verify all parts and accessories are included - Be sure to check the model number and what accessories and parts it came with when originally released from the manufacturer; verify all parts and accessories are present.