Things to Know About Tannoy Speakers
Tannoy is a British manufacturer of audio equipment that has been in existence since the 1920s. You can find a variety of Tannoy vintage speakers for sale on eBay. Each model is a different size and has a different configuration to help sculpt the sound in your sound system.What models are available?
Vintage Tannoy speakers have been made in a variety of different models, each designed with a different size and speaker set up to fit the room where they are installed. Some of the Tannoy speaker models available on eBay include:
- Mallorcan: This Tannoy 12 for sale is a monitor speaker designed for use in a recording studio. It comes with a gold screen.
- Elipse: The Elipse has compact 8-inch reference speakers with an oval shape that sits on their sides. Each speaker has a standalone control panel.
- C-8: These are two-way bookshelf speakers from the 8'0s designed to blend in the room while broadcasting sound.
- Wildcat: This is a 15-inch floor speaker with a box design. It has a one-way cabinet with a sub speaker for subsonic frequencies.
- Puma: This is a concentric speaker that filters sound from all speakers in the cabinet through the subwoofer cone, giving it a colored and blended sound.
Almost as important to collectors and listeners as the sound they emit is the look and design of the speaker. Tannoy manufactures speakers in a variety of finishes, making them just as much furniture as they are listening devices. The older Tannoy loudspeakers for sale are made with wood finishes while others are finished with black metal or plastic casings. Tannoy speakers are made in the following wood finishes:
On top of complete speaker cabinets, individual replacement parts are available for speakers that stop working properly. The following replacement parts can be found:
- Crossover: The crossover determines which frequencies are sent to which speakers in the cabinet housing.
- Cone: The cone is fastened around the speaker, helping direct the sound it is emitting.
- Foam: The circular foam is placed around the speaker to prevent it from rattling against the housing while it is working.
- Cabinets: Replacement cabinets can be used to replace cracked or damaged speaker housings.
- Cables and connectors: These can be used to help properly connect Tannoy speakers to the crossover and input jack in the back of the speaker cabinet.