The Eye-Catching Style of Tartan Trousers
Made popular outside Scotland by Queen Victoria, no other material has made the crossover from high society to street fashion like tartan. It wasn't until its adoption by the punk movement in the 1970s that this fabric was seen as something to be worn for casual/smart wear rather than just as part of a school uniform. Nowadays, the wide range of tartan trousers means that they can be worn by anyone - irrespective of sex, body shape, and age. All these different fits, styles, and colour combinations of tartan trousers can be purchased on eBay - and all at prices you can afford.How can you narrow down your choice of tartan trousers?
Apart from your budget, other factors you should consider are:
- Clothing label: Choose between branded and non-branded trousers, both new and used.
- Size: Tartan trousers are sold in UK dress sizes (6-26), and some styles might require your inside leg measurement too.
- Colour: From the bright reds of the Stewart tartan to the muted blue/green tones of the Black Watch, find a colour combination you love and which suits you.
- Style/fit: Consider your body shape to find trousers that are both comfortable and flattering.
- Material: Although traditionally made from wool, tartan trousers are now made from a wide variety of natural, synthetic, or blended fabrics.
- Extra detail: Some trousers might have an elasticated waist, side/back/front pockets, and/or decorative zips.
It's very difficult to successfully pull off a look by combining tartan with another pattern. Instead, you should pick one colour from your tartan trousers and use that as your palette, choosing separates of that shade. Tartan trousers are versatile enough to be worn on all occasions. For the workplace, team them with a blouse and blazer while a vest top/T-shirt combined with chunky boots make a great look for casual outings.What are the different types of fit/style of tartan trousers?
You should consider your body shape and the formality of the occasion to find the right trousers. The types include:
- High-waisted with tapered leg: These suit the tall/slim while the length of the leg will make the petite appear taller.
- Wide-legged long trousers or culottes: This style can elongate the silhouette of apple- or pear-shaped body types.
- Capri trousers or cigarette trousers: Suitable for the petite and/or those with a boyish figure, they can add curves and/or height.
- Jeggings: A lightweight and comfy fit for all body shapes and ideal for casual wear.