Bring Life Back to Your Technics Turntable With a Technics 1210 Tonearm
If you have a Technics 1210 turntable that you are looking to upgrade or fix, one of the first things to check up on is the turntable’s tonearm. A turntable’s tonearm is an essential part of a turntable, and if it’s defective, it can cause the turntable to be inoperable or, even worse, cause permanent damage to your valuable vinyl. Fortunately, you can find a variety of inexpensive Technics 1210 tonearms and tonearm parts on eBay.What is the difference between 1200 and 1210 tonearms?
The Technics SL-1200 and SL-1210 turntable series are completely identical except for the colour. All Technics SL-1200 turntable models are silver toned. All Technics SL-1210 turntable models are black. If colour is not an issue, new and pre-owned SL-1210 tonearms are compatible with the SL-1200 turntable. These are the turntable models that are compatible with the Technics SL-1210 tonearm:
- SL-1210 MK2
- SL-1210 MK3 and MK3D
- SL-1210 MK4
- SL-1210 MK5 and MK5G
- SL-1210 MK6
The Technics SL-1210 tonearm can be replaced by purchasing individual parts or by purchasing the complete tonearm assembly from eBay. The complete assembly can be installed directly onto your turntable out of the box. Periodic replacement of tonearm parts can keep your vinyl collection in peak condition and produce the most high-fidelity sound possible.What are the parts of a Technics tonearm?
If you are searching for replacement parts for the Technics SL-1210 tonearm, these are the main components:
- Balance weight– The balance weight helps to balance the tonearm, keeping it from sinking too low or floating too high from the vinyl. This weight should be periodically recalibrated.
- Armrest and arm clamp– The armrest and arm clamp support the weight of the main tonearm pipe when it is at rest and not in use.
- Main tonearm pipe– The main tonearm pipe transports the vibrations through the internal metal wires from the stylus to the cartridge.
- Head cartridge– The head cartridge contains coils and receives the vibrations from the stylus and converts the vibrations into electrical signals. The head cartridge is the part of the tonearm that should be changed most often.
- Stylus– The stylus is the needle that rests against the vinyl. It is the part that can cause the most harm to your vinyl if it is not in peak condition.