Explore Your Options for Upholstery Fabric
Whether crafting your own furniture or re-covering older pieces, there is a wide range of upholstering fabric for you to choose from. When selecting among the many options of these materials available on eBay, you should know what each option offers for meeting your needs.What should be considered when purchasing upholstery fabric?
Upholstery fabric has a special design that is ideal for use for covering various types of furniture pieces. This fabric is often more durable than standard materials used for projects such as making clothing. When selecting fabric on eBay for upholstery needs, there are certain factors that should be taken into consideration. These points to ponder include the following:
- Durability - Much of the durability that is found with fabric is determined by the thread count. This is the number of threads used for weaving a certain measurement of fabric. The more threads used, the tighter and stronger the material will be.
- Cleaning and maintenance needs - As with other types of fabric, upholstering fabric require specific cleaning and maintenance needs to continue looking presentable. Knowing that you can provide the upkeep necessary will go a long way for getting the results you are seeking.
- Soil and fade resistance - Furniture takes a lot of abuse through its use. It is important to know this fabric's soil and fade-resistance factors before covering your furniture.
- Patterns - To create the look and feel you are trying to capture, looking at the patterns of the fabric will help you determine if you can capture the results you are hoping for.
- Availability - When selecting a fabric for upholstery, it is important to look at the availability of the material. This will ensure you have access the fabric should you need more than expected or wish to cover other furniture pieces as well.
Natural upholstering fabrics are products that are grown or produced in a natural way. These fabrics include silk, cotton, leather, wool, and vinyl. Synthetic fabrics used for upholstering purposes are man-made. These fabrics include nylon, acetate, acrylic, and polyester. Some major differences between the two types of fabric include the following:
- Durable - Synthetic fabrics are often more durable due to the manufacturing processes that they go through.
- Comfortable - Natural fabric has the ability to deliver a more comfortable look and feel for the furniture once it is covered.
- Able to maintain their appeal - When it comes to cleaning and maintenance, synthetic materials often provide the ability to maintain their intended appeal.
- Less harsh - Natural fabrics are often less harsh for individuals that suffer from allergies or other sensitivities to the materials.
Furniture used in areas where pets and children are present naturally go through harsher conditions and are more susceptible to stains or wear. The materials that work the best for covering furniture pieces used in these settings include the following:
- Polyester blends
- Cotton blends