Eat Fresh Food Grown From Vegetable Plants
Nothing tastes better than food that you have grown in your garden. When you shop on eBay for vegetable plants for sale, then you can grow vegetables from around the world. You will be amazed at the wide variety of vegetables that you will be serving to your family and friends when you buy affordable vegetable plants in the UK on eBay.What are some unusual types of vegetables?
There are many unusual types of vegetables that you may have never seen served in the United Kingdom, but that you can grow in your garden. These include:
- Oxalis Tuberosa - Often called the New Zealand yam, this potato-like tuber can be fried, boiled, or eaten raw. It tolerates marginal soils very well and grows when temperatures average about 11 degrees Celsius. While you can grow them from seeds, they will propagate from tubers.
- Brassica - Over 13 species of plants from around the world are part of the brassica family. You can get this started in your garden by finding brassica plug plants for sale and growing the plant for harvesting for your family. Depending on the variety, people eat the roots, stems, leaves, flowers, buds, and seeds.
- Celeriac - Often called turnip-rooted celery, celery root, or knob celery. You can find celeriac plants for sale on eBay. While you can use it in a variety of dishes, many South American dishes call specifically for celeriac immature stalks.
- Nopales - This vegetable, which is a member of the succulent family, is used in many Mexican dishes. You can easily propagate it from existing plants so that you can share it with many of your friends. It grows well in hot climates with little rain.
- Jicama - Often called the Mexican turnip, this plant needs lots of sun and warm temperatures as well as lots of potassium. In the autumn, you can harvest this tuber.
If you are looking to find vegetable plants for sale in the UK, you may want to consider what way you want to start growing from like:
- Plugs - These seedlings are grown in containers and are ready to plant as soon as the weather cooperates.
- Seeds - Consider heirloom seeds because you can dry the seeds and use them again to grow your next garden.
- Tubers - There are many vegetables grown underground that you can plant a part of the vegetable and get a new plant.
- Roots - You can grow many types of vegetables from root stem cuttings.
There are many different things to think about before choosing which vegetables you want to grow. You need to know the number of hours of sunlight that the vegetable needs. Vegetables like spinach, radishes, and potatoes require many hours of sunlight, while others need only a few hours of sunlight. You should also think about the type of soil that you have in your garden. For example, lettuce, chard, and snap beans prefer clay soil. Other types of vegetables like corn, okra, and carrots, prefer loamy soil. You should also consider typical temperatures in your area. Some vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower prefer cooler temperatures while others like chili peppers and peas like hot weather.