Shop by Size
Shop by Brand
Great prices on popular products
Save on Violins
- LETO BOW ROSIN RESIN VIOLIN VIOLA CELLO STRING UK SELLER WOW£2.38Trending at £2.42
- Stentor Student Standard Violin 3/4 Size£95.50Trending at £107.92
- 4/4 Wood Maple Electric Violin Fiddle Stringed Instrument w/ Ebony Fittings Case£59.50Trending at £62.10
- Stentor Standard Violin Outfit - 1/4 size£100.03Trending at £103.42
- SS 1/4 Size Violin Fiddle Basswood Steel String Arbor Bow for 6-8 Beginners P2X1£21.14Trending at £22.11
- 1 Set of 3/4 4/4 Violin Strings Steel Core GDAE PK Q2N9£0.99Trending at £1.77
- Pirastro Obligato Violin Strings Full set 4/4 Gold E Ball End Free Shipping!£75.99Trending at £86.99
- For LETO Violin Rosin 6003 PK V2X8£0.99Trending at £1.01
- for Leto Violin Rosin 6003 E2q3£0.99 New
Hot this week
- Leto Bow Rosin Resin for Violin Viola Cello String Hi Quality UK Seller£2.393 left
- LETO BOW ROSIN RESIN VIOLIN VIOLA CELLO STRING UK SELLER WOW£2.3838 sold
- 4/4 Full Size Acoustic Violin Set With Case&Bow&Rosin Cake&Bridge & Strings£29.9920 sold
- Leto Bow Rosin Resin for Violin Viola Cello String ,UK Seller£2.3616 sold
- Complete Replacement Set of Steel Core Violin Strings GDAE 3/4 4/4£1.9915 sold
- VIOLIN STRINGS, NEW, QUALITY FULL SET, GDAE, ANY SIZE 4/4 TO 1/16, UK SELLER£2.9915 sold
- New 4/4 Size Acoustic Violin Set W/Case Bow Rosin Bridge UK£22.9913 sold
- VIOLIN STRING SET 4/4 Concert Tuning - Highest Quality By Adagio RRP £10.99£6.4913 sold
- Zest Violin 4/4 Student Electro Acoustic V & T Blue Burst plus big package£83.59Was: Previous price£87.99
- Acoustic Double Bass String Set 3/4 & 4/4 Size Steel Core Silver E-A-D-G Strings£26.49
- Student 1/2 Violin by Gear4music PINK£81.42
- Kinsman ACV015 3/4 Antoni Debut Violin Case£44.90
- Primavera 200 4/4 Size Antiqued Violin Outfit£171.94
- 1 NEW CELLO SCROLL AND NECK, FINE AGED MAPLE, FINE CRAFTMANSHIP, UK SELLER£74.95
- Ashton Av342 3/4 Size Violin Blue£98.09
Got one to sell?
Get it in front of 17+ million UK buyers.
You may also like
Make an offer
- LETO BOW ROSIN RESIN VIOLIN VIOLA CELLO STRING UK SELLER WOW£2.38Free postageMake offer
- New 4/4 Size Acoustic Violin Set W/Case Bow Rosin Bridge UK£22.99Free postageMake offer
The violin is a musical instrument in the string family. It is a popular instrument in orchestras and has been played by famous musicians such as Vanessa Mae.
Its history starts at around the 16th century though stringed instruments similar to the violin go back even further in time.
Violins can be used to play a wide variety of music including classical, country, jazz, folk and even punk. It is sometimes also called a ‘fiddle’.
A violin is a great starter instrument for a child or adult and the violin is widely taught in schools and through private tuition.
A violin comprises four strings and is played by drawing a bow across one or more strings with one hand whilst holding down a combination of the strings with the other.
The main features of a violin comprise a main hourglass-shaped body, a fingerboard with neck, four strings, and a chinrest.
These can be made from various materials – the main body is traditionally made of wood, and the strings from catgut (though synthetic materials such as steel are more common these days).
- Typically violins are produced in full sizes, ¾, ½ and ¼, though other sizes such as 7/8ths , 1/10th and even 1/64th are in existence
- The sizes are not literate – a ½ size violin is not actually half the size of a standard violin; a full-sized violin is approximately 356cm in length, whilst a ½ size violin is around 310cm for example
- Smaller sizes are made for those who are not big enough to play a full sized violin comfortably – for example children who are learning to play
Caring for a violin
- Violins are finely-tuned musical instruments which can suffer if dropped or knocked. A hard back carry case with secure handle can help transport both the violin and one or two bows safely
- Violins need tuning before every performance or practice as they can easily get out of tune. Strings may need replacing occasionally due to wear and tear
- Bows need replacing due to wear and tear more often than violin strings. Rosin is used to improve the sound of the bow hairs
- A violin can be cleaned carefully with a little water and a cloth and also with cleaning fluid or varnish, depending on what material the violin is made from