Best-selling in Adult Learning & University
Save on Adult Learning & University
- £19.50Trending at £20.12
- £9.22Trending at £11.01
- £26.45Trending at £27.79
- £19.99Trending at £23.85
- £21.79Trending at £22.10
- £15.48Trending at £19.34
- £15.72Trending at £22.86
About this product
- DescriptionCapture students' attention with this collection of mathematics, language arts, science, and classroom management strategies for experiential learners. Included are examples, visuals, and reproducibles.
- Author BiographyAbigail Norfleet James taught for many years in single-sex schools and consults on the subject of gendered teaching to school systems, colleges, and universities. Her area of expertise is developmental and educational psychology as applied to the gendered classroom. Prior to obtaining her doctorate from the University of Virginia's Curry School of Education, she taught general science, biology, and psychology in both boys' and girls' schools. Her previous publications include reports of research comparing the educational attitudes of male graduates of coed schools and single-sex schools, research describing the effects of gendered basic skills instruction, and a report of academic achievement of students in single gender programs. In addition, she has written on differentiated instruction at the elementary school level. She has presented workshops and papers at many educational conferences and works with teachers and parent groups in interpreting the world of gendered education. Her professional affiliations include the American Educational Research Association, the American Psychological Association, the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, the Coalition of Schools Educating Boys of Color, the Gender and Education Association, the International Boys' Schools Coalition, and the National Association for Single-Sex Public Education (Advisory Board Member). Sandra Boyd Allison is an experienced educator with thirty-five years teaching and consulting experience in curriculum instruction, secondary mathematics, and special education. She has presented at local, state, and international conferences and workshops. Her experience includes teaching positions in grades K-12, in single gender magnets, regular education classrooms, self-contained, resource and itinerant programs for the hearing impaired, learning disabilities, and mentally handicapped in public and private school sectors. In addition to state certifications in secondary mathematics, elementary education, hearing impaired, gifted and talented, learning disabilities, and mentally handicapped, she has been recognized by her peers as Teacher of the Year and holds National Boards certification in AYA Mathematics. Allison received an undergraduate degree in elementary and special education from Winthrop University and a graduate degree in curriculum and instruction: math and science from University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She has received local, state and national grants from the state department of education in South Carolina, Metropolitan Life, and Time Warner Cable. Allison's expertise is in the implementation of innovative programs that are built around current models of instruction containing core lessons based on state standards. She is a collaborator with a special interest in creating cross-curricula, real-world lessons that combine her knowledge of mathematics with her lifelong interest in science, technology, the history of the United States, and the ancient works of the great thinkers. Caitlin Z. McKenzie is a teacher of language arts in single-gender middle schools. She obtained her master's degree in education specializing in language and literacy and is a doctoral candidate in curriculum studies at the University of South Carolina. She is a consultant in best practice strategies for teachers in single-gender classrooms. She has presented at national and regional conferences on teaching language arts in single gender classrooms.
- Author(s)Abigail Norfleet James,Caitlin Zimmerman McKenzie,Sandra Boyd Allison
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication15/05/2011
- GenreEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCorwin Press Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight680 g
- Width215 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine16 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.