All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFocusing on low-income neighborhoods in Delhi, this book stitches together three different sets of issues. It examines the different trajectories of illness: What are the circumstances under which illness is absorbed within the normal and when does it exceed the normal putting resources, relationships, and even one's world into jeopardy?
- Author BiographyVeena Das is Krieger- Eisenhower Professor and Professor of Humanities at Johns Hopkins University, where she teaches in the Department of Anthropology. She is Foreign Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and the Third World Academy of Sciences. She has published widely on questions of social suffering and violence, and her books include Structure and Cognition: Aspects of Hindu Caste and Ritual (1977, 1987, 2011), Critical Events: An Anthropological Perspective on Contemporary India (1995, 2001), and Life and Words: Violence and Descent into the Ordinary (2007). She is the recipient of an honorary doctorate in letters humaine from the University of Chicago and an honorary doctorate in the social sciences from the University of Edinburgh. Her most recent book is Affl iction: Health, Disease, and Poverty from Fordham University Press (2015).
- Author(s)Veena Das
- PublisherFordham University Press
- Date of Publication01/01/2015
- GenreMedicine: General
- Series TitleForms of Living
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFordham University Press
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Health, Treatments & Medicine
Save on Health, Treatments & Medicine
- £14.28Trending at £16.26
- £13.30Trending at £13.53
- £13.45Trending at £16.42
- £6.95Trending at £7.07
- £5.45Trending at £7.98
- £12.58Trending at £17.98
- £8.50Trending at £8.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.