Best-selling in Manuals & Resources
Save on Manuals & Resources
- £1.49Trending at £1.70
- £15.91Trending at £19.92
- £13.01Trending at £19.94
- £6.89Trending at £7.99
- £10.99Trending at £14.41
- £2.50Trending at £4.15
- £4.99Trending at £9.72
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines the similarities and differences in altruism across cultures. It explores the role of altruism in ritual and religion and analyzes the interplay of biology and culture in altruism.
- Author BiographyDouglas A. Vakoch is Professor of Clinical Psychology at the California Institute of Integral Studies, as well as Director of Interstellar Message Composition at the SETI Institute. His research spans the fields of psychology, anthropology, and space sciences, and his books include Psychology of Space Exploration: Contemporary Research in Historical Perspective (NASA, 2011), On Orbit and Beyond: Psychological Perspectives on Human Spaceflight (Springer, 2012), Archaeology, Anthropology, and Interstellar Communication (NASA, 2012), Astrobiology, History, and Society: Extraterrestrial Life and the Impact of Discovery (Springer, 2013), and Between Worlds: The Art and Science of Interstellar Message Composition (MIT Press, 2013). Dr. Vakoch chaired the symposium -Altruism in Cross-Cultural Perspective|| at the 34th Annual Conference of the Society for Cross-Cultural Research, which brought together researchers from anthropology, psychology, sociology, medicine, and public health for the first in-depth discussion of altruism across cultures. He has been a faculty participant in two separate month-long summer seminars sponsored by the John Templeton Foundation: -Biology and Purpose: Altruism, Morality, and Human Nature in Evolutionary Theory|| and -Works of Love: Scientific and Theological Perspectives on Altruism.|| Dr. Vakoch has served on the Executive Committee of the Society for Cross-Cultural Research, which brings together psychologists, anthropologists, and other social scientists to foster interdisciplinary dialogue and research. He is a member of the editorial board of the journal Ecopsychology, and he serves as general editor for Berghahn Books' Ecofeminist Theory and Practice Series, which includes his own book, Ecofeminism and Rhetoric: Critical Perspectives on Sex, Technology, and Discourse (2011).
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication16/05/2013
- Series TitleInternational and Cultural Psychology
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight461 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byDouglas A. Vakoch
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.