An Atlas of English Dialects: Region and Dialect by J. D. A. Widdowson, Clive Upton (Paperback, 2006)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- £0.99+ £2.80 P&P
- Acceptable condition
- Sold by kateintheevening
- See details for delivery est.
Consider these sponsored items
- £3.39Was:£25.99Free postage
- £34.99Free postage
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Language
Save on Language
- £37.62Trending at £44.98
- £31.44Trending at £34.65
About this product
- DescriptionThe words we use (and the sounds we make when we use them) are more often than not a product of where we live. This work shows the reader where certain words, sounds and phrases originate from and why usage varies from region to region. It includes ninety maps showing the regions in which particular words, phrases and pronunciations are used.
- Author BiographyJ.D.A. (John) Widdowson is Emeritus Professor of English Language in the University of Sheffield, where he was until recently Director of the National Centre for English Cultural Tradition. He has been associated with SED for some forty years, and was co-editor of the Survey's Linguistic Atlas of England and co-author of its Dictionary and Grammar (both Routledge publication). Clive Upton is Senior Lecturer (from August 2005 Reader, became Professor in 2006) in English Language in the University of Leeds, where SED has its home and where he has been associated with the Survey for over thirty years. He is co-author of the Survey's Dictionary and Grammar. Widdowson and Upton have collaborated on many dialect projects and publications around SED and beyond.
- Author(s)Clive Upton,J. D. A. Widdowson
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication07/02/2006
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note90 black & white line drawings
- Weight294 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.