All listings for this product
About this product
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/10/2009
- GenreThe Arts: General & Reference
- Series TitleModern French Identities
- Series Part/Volume Number83
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Weight530 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edited byAnna Elsner,Olga Smith,Peter Collier
- Edition StatementNew edition
- Table Of ContentsContents: Emma Wilson: Preface - Peter Collier/Anna Magdalena Elsner/Olga Smith: Introduction - Max Silverman: Trips, Tropes and Traces: Reflections on Memory in French and Francophone Culture - Ian James: Death, Memory, Subjectivity: Perec's W, ou le souvenir d'enfance - Anna Magdalena Elsner: 'L'obscenite absolue du projet de comprendre': The Communicability of Traumatic Knowledge in Claude Lanzmann's Shoah - Myriem El Maizi: Marguerite Duras' Poetics of Diversion: Memory, Forgetting and Invention - Jenny Murray: 'La mort inachevee': Writing, Remembering, and Forgetting in Assia Djebar's Le Blanc de l'Algerie, La Disparition de la langue francaise and Nulle part dans la maison de mon pere - Patrick O'Donovan: Memory as Object: A Relation of Proximity? - Catherine Crimp: Louise Bourgeois and Samuel Beckett: Space and the Materials of Memory - Olga Smith: 'A Hollow Image of the Person': Objects of Memory in the Art of Christian Boltanski - Ferzina Banaji: Rethinking Memory: The Violation of a 'lieu de memoire' in Marcel Ophuls' Le Chagrin et la pitie - Jennifer Burris: A Landscape of Amnesia: The Loss and Attempted Reconstruction of Memory in Artistic Representations of the Urban - Rositza Alexandrova: Things of Art: A Photographic Thumbing of the Nose - Katja Haustein: 'La vie comme /uvre': Barthes with Proust - Michele Lester: Through the Looking Glass: Beckett's Monologues, Jacques Lacan and the Role of Memory - Roger Cardinal: Joe Bousquet: Remembering a Wound - Thanh-Van Ton-That: Anna Moi's Riz Noir: A Feminine View of War, between Two Cultures - Amaleena Damle: Phantasmal Relics: Psychoanalytical and Deconstructive Ghosts in Moi L'Interdite and Pagli by Ananda Devi - Jenny Chamarette: Memory, Representation of Time and Cinema - Nadine Boljkovac: Intimacy and Prophecy: Marker and Resnais's Memories - Richard Armstrong: ' Nevers ... is just a word like any other': The Failure of Words and the Wandering Woman in Hiroshima mon amour - Isabelle McNeill: Agnes Varda's Moving Museums - Carol Mavor: A is for Alice, for Amnesia, for Anamnesis: A Fairy Tale called La Jetee.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Peter Collier is Emeritus Fellow in French at Sidney Sussex College, University of Cambridge. His books include Proust and Venice (1989). He has translated Zola's Germinal (1994) and Proust's The Fugitive (2002). He is the series editor of Modern French Identities and European Connections for Peter Lang. Anna Magdalena Elsner is a Ph.D. candidate at the University of Cambridge and currently a visiting researcher at the Ecole Normale Superieure in Paris. She is writing on the relation between mourning and creativity in Proust's A la recherche du temps perdu. Apart from everything Proustian, she is also interested in French documentary cinema. Olga Smith is preparing her Ph.D. thesis, entitled 'The Erosion of the Real: Photography in France 1970s-2000s' at the Department of History of Art at the University of Cambridge. She is currently a visiting scholar at the Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris.
Best-selling in Dictionaries & Reference
Save on Dictionaries & Reference
- £8.45Trending at £9.00
- £7.91Trending at £9.00
- £6.00Trending at £6.10
- £6.79Trending at £6.91
- £17.18Trending at £19.97
- £10.77Trending at £14.00
- £7.20Trending at £7.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.