All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Joy Schaverien
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication09/06/2015
- GenrePsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Content Note27 black & white illustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Table Of ContentsList of Figures. Preface. Acknowledgements. List of abbreviation. Boarding School Syndrome - An Introduction. Part I: History - In the Name of Privilege. Man and Boy: A Brief History of Boarding Schools. All Girls Together: A Brief History of Boarding Schools. Part II: Exile and Healing. Developmental Trauma (Case Study Part 1). Mapping the Psyche: (Case Study Part 2). The Distortion of a Boy (Case Study Part 3). The Return: Trauma and the Developing Brain. (Case Study Part 4). Part III: Broken Attachments: A Hidden Trauma. A Hidden Trauma: Amnesia. Broken Attachments: The Bereaved Child. The Captive Child: Abandonment. Children of Empire. Homesickness: Eating and Sleeping. Part IV: The Boarding School Body.The Armoured Self: Masculinity, Leathers and the Lash. The Hidden Self: Girls and the Tyranny of the Dinner Table. Puberty in Girls' Schools: Love and Homosexuality. Boys Sexual Activity and Sexual Abuse: Its Lasting Impact. Boarding School Syndrome: Towards a Theory.
- Author BiographyJoy Schaverien, is a Jungian psychoanalyst, a training analyst of the Society of Analytical Psychology (London), a member of the International Association of Analytical Psychology and Visiting Professor in Art Psychotherapy in Sheffield. Her many publications include Gender, Countertransference and the Erotic Transference (Routledge, 2006).
Most relevant reviews
- lucy1972carr07 Jun, 2017by
Finally, the trauma which so many of we 'privileged' children suffered is being recognised. Joy Schaverien writes sensitively and intelligently about this area. A must for anyone who wants to understand their own or others suffering. Warning though, ensure you have some support around you, as there is a risk of re traumatising .
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
- davidphoto1301 Oct, 2015by
Essential reading for parents, teachers and past boarding school inmates
This is a new book which deals with a a little known or understood topic of which most people will have no idea. I went from 10 years old, in the mid-'50's, until I was 17. With virtually no outside contact to my parents, no television, newspapers, (and of course no mobile phones or internet) it was a strange and insensitive world of boys, and affected me for the rest of my life. Thankyou Joy for shedding some light on my past and my present. I hope many others will read it.
Best-selling in Health, Treatments & Medicine
Save on Health, Treatments & Medicine
- £14.50Trending at £19.93
- £29.14Trending at £34.88
- £17.90Trending at £19.90
- £10.99Trending at £12.86
- £3.60Trending at £3.68
- £34.79Trending at £39.82
- £33.21Trending at £42.88