Save on Adult Learning & University
- £9.09Trending at £10.99
- £26.45Trending at £27.79
- £7.44Trending at £8.99
- £10.89Trending at £12.29
- £18.09Trending at £19.21
- £15.21Trending at £18.62
- £13.83Trending at £19.89
About this product
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication14/03/2014
- GenreSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byAlfred Stepan,Charles Taylor
- Table Of ContentsIntroduction, by Alfred Stepan and Charles Taylor Religion and the Imagination, by Salman Rushdie with Gauri Viswanathan Part 1. Classical Western Approaches to Toleration A Form of Liberty and Indulgence: Toleration as a Layered Institution, by Ira Katznelson How to Define Secularism, by Charles Taylor Secularism: Its Content and Context, by Akeel Bilgrami Half-Toleration: Concordia and the Limits of Dialogue, by Nadia Urbinati Part 2. Before and Beyond Classical Approaches to Toleration Beyond Toleration: Civility and Principled Coexistence in Asokan Edicts, by Rajeev Bhargava Empire and Toleration: A Comparative Sociology of Toleration Within Empire, by Karen Barkey Modernity, State, and Toleration in Indian History: Exploring Accommodations and Partitions, by Sudipta Kaviraj Muslims and Toleration: Unexamined Contributions to the Multiple Secularisms of Modern Democracies, by Alfred Stepan Contributors Index
- Author BiographyAlfred Stepan is the Wallace Sayre Professor of Government at Columbia University. He is the coauthor of Problems of Democratic Transition and Consolidation and Crafting State Nations and the coeditor of Democracy and Islam in Indonesia. Charles Taylor is professor emeritus of philosophy at McGill University and the author of Sources of the Self: The Making of the Modern Identity; Modern Social Imaginaries; and A Secular Age.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.