All listings for this product
Best-selling in The Arts
Save on The Arts
- £4.91Trending at £5.11
- £7.98Trending at £8.07
- £7.25Trending at £7.99
- £3.89Trending at £7.00
- £16.02Trending at £22.02
- £11.65Trending at £16.70
- £28.00Trending at £33.75
About this product
- DescriptionIn Caribbean and Atlantic Diaspora Dance: Igniting Citizenship, Yvonne Daniel provides a sweeping cultural and historical examination of diaspora dance genres. In discussing relationships among African, Caribbean, and other diasporic dances, Daniel investigates social dances brought to the islands by Europeans and Africans, including quadrilles and drum-dances as well as popular dances that followed, such as Carnival parading, Pan-Caribbean danzas, rumba, merengue, mambo, reggae, and zouk. Daniel reviews sacred dance and closely documents combat dances, such as Martinican ladja, Trinidadian kalinda, and Cuban juego de man\u00ed. In drawing on scores of performers and consultants from the region as well as on her own professional dance experience and acumen, Daniel adeptly places Caribbean dance in the context of cultural and economic globalization, connecting local practices to transnational and global processes and emphasizing the important role of dance in critical regional tourism.
- Author BiographyYvonne Daniel is a professor emerita of dance and Afro-American studies at Smith College and the author of Dancing Wisdom: Embodied Knowledge in Haitian Vodou, Cuban Yoruba, and Bahian Candomble.
- Author(s)Yvonne Daniel
- PublisherUniversity of Illinois Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2011
- GenreMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationBaltimore
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Illinois Press
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.