All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionChildhood is a brand new series of textbooks, copublished with The Open University which represents a coherent and integrated treatment of a wide range of topics and approaches, which will have a relevance to courses in childhood studies; sociology; psychology; anthropology and cultural studies as well as education and social policy.
- Author BiographyMary Jane Kehily is a lecturer in Childhood Studies at The Open University. Her background is in cultural studies and education and her research interests are in gender and sexuality, narrative and identity, and popular culture. She has published widely on these themes. Recent publications include Sexuality, Gender and Schooling: Shifting Agendas in Social Learning (Routledge, 2002); 'Sexing the subject: Teachers, pedagogies and sex education', Sex Education, 2002, 3(3); and 'Learning to Laugh', A study of Schoolboy humour in the English secondary school' in What About the Boys? Issues of Masculinities in Schools (edited by Martino and Meyenn, Open University Press 2001, with Nayak). She is also director of a research project exploring the cultural meanings of drugs and drug use in young people's lives. Joan Swann is a senior lecturer in the Centre for Language and Communications at The Open University. She worked initially as a secondary school teacher before joining The Open University. She has contributed to several Open University courses, particularly in the areas of language and education, English language and linguistics. As a sociolinguist, her main research interests are in language and gender, children's language and classroom language, and she has researched and published widely in these areas. Recent publications include Introducing Sociolinguistics (Edinburgh University Press, 2002, with Mesthrie, Deumert and Leap); 'Yes, but is it gender?' in Gender Identity and Discourse Analysis (edited by Litosseliti and Sunderland, Benjamins, 2002); and 'Schooled language: language and gender in educational settings' in The Handbook of Language and Gender (Holmes and Meyerhoff, Blackwell Publishers, 2003).
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication27/05/2003
- GenrePsychology: Professional & General
- Series TitleWiley & OU Childhood
- Place of PublicationChichester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Ltd
- Out-of-print date13/12/2012
- Content NoteIllustrations (chiefly col.), col. ports.
- Weight980 g
- Width192 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byJoan Swann,Mary Jane Kehily
Best-selling in Psychology & Help
Save on Psychology & Help
- £4.18Trending at £4.48
- £10.61Trending at £11.65
- £5.27Trending at £5.66
- £6.59Trending at £7.99
- £7.96Trending at £8.18
- £7.58Trending at £7.99
- £5.29Trending at £5.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.