Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- £5.45+ £4.00 P&P
- New condition
- Sold by bellasalute
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
People who bought this also bought
About this product
- DescriptionDirector Ron Howard and star Russell Crowe re-team after their Oscar-winning collaboration, A BEAUTIFUL MIND, for this rousing biopic. It's the true story of boxer James J. Braddock (Russell Crowe), a heavyweight contender from New Jersey nicknamed the Bulldog of Bergen, who lost his fame and fortune during the Great Depression only to win the hearts of the downtrodden during a spectacular comeback. Crowe is masterful as Braddock, with Renee Zellweger playing his wife, and Paul Giamatti as his loyal friend and manager, Joe Gould. The sharply observed script devotes a significant amount of screen time to the domestic struggles of Braddock's family; developing character and place with a wealth of period detail, so when the comeback starts, the payoff is enormous. The matches themselves are unforgettable: raw, intense, riveting, with more than a passing stylistic nod to Martin Scorsese's groundbreaking 1980 film, RAGING BULL. Though it may sound a bit formulaic, one should remember that this is the true and original underdog boxer story from which all others hail, and it's riveted together with true craftsmanship. Howard has a real skill for plucking audience members' heartstrings, and the performances are first-rate. Giamatti and Crowe play off each other in a rapport perfectly suited to their roles, especially at the ring, where the one's manic intensity makes a perfect contrast to the other's warrior grace.
- Leading Role 1Russell Crowe
- Director 1Ron Howard
- Leading Role 2Renee Zellweger
- Leading Role 3Paul Giamatti
- Additional Roles byBruce McGill,Paddy Considine,Craig Bierko,Krysta Carter
- ProducerPenny Marshall,Ron Howard,Todd Hallowell,Brian Grazer
- ScreenwriterRon Howard,Akiva Goldsman,Cliff Hollingsworth
- Score ComposerThomas Newman
- Release FormatDVD
- Release Year2006
- Additional GenreGeneral
- Subtitle LanguagesDanish,English,Finnish,Icelandic,Norwegian,Portuguese,Spanish,Swedish
- Running Time139 minutes
Most relevant reviews
- davies779703 May, 2017by
Cinderella Man well worth a viewing.
I must admit this was one of the most genuine movies I have seen In a long time. Well worth a viewing.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
- sles527403 Nov, 2016by
Crow plays a good part in this true story, i thoughly enjoyed it, Showed the hardship of the times
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
- 110mungus15 Sep, 2013by
real life rags to riches,for the survival of his family and hisself
best boxing film ive seen and based on a true story,thoroughly recommend.other than gladiator russell crowe potrays his character extremely well.dont be put of by the name,you like true storys you will deffinately like this....5 stars xxxxx
- powerful-hypnos...26 Jan, 2011by
Incredible Movie!! Motivate Yourself!!
This is an incredible movie! "Cinderella Man" is about a down-and-out guy who makes an astonishing boxing comeback and wins the title during the Depression. What makes this movie stand out from other under-dog boxing films is the sensitive and endearing performance of Russell Crowe. It really is one of his best roles ever. Crowe looks the part of Jim Braddock; his face is craggy and lined, his tired eyes reflect desperation, fear, and hope. He is as convincing in the brutal boxing scenes as he is in the tender moments he shares with Renee Zellweger, who plays Jim's wife, Mae. The sentimentality never becomes maudlin, however, and we come to like and admire Jim for the love he has for his family and his determination to do whatever he has to do to support them and keep them together. Two scenes define Braddock even more than the boxing matches: The first is when he is reduced to begging, hat in hand, from his former associates in order to have the heat turned back on in his pitiful basement apartment. The second is when Jim goes to the relief office and repays the money he had been given. These scenes show Jim was a man of intense pride and inner strength; he didn't complain about being poor or shirk his responsibilities. "Cinderella Man" is a very good film! Read full review
- 2220harris09 Oct, 2010by
story of a boxer that hit a losing streak, so quit. however when things where most dire for his family he made a come back to everyones suprise and came out on top. a true cinderella story.the story of James Bradock from depresion era america.
Best-selling in DVDs & Blu-rays
Save on DVDs & Blu-rays
- £8.99Trending at £9.19
- £4.99Trending at £9.48
- £4.99Trending at £5.06
- £4.40Trending at £5.73
- £9.49Trending at £9.70
- £8.49Trending at £8.68
- £4.48Trending at £4.89