All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Lucia Trimbur
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication25/08/2013
- GenreSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note10 halftones.
- Weight567 g
- Width152 mm
- Height235 mm
- Table Of ContentsAcknowledgments xi List of Prominent Participants xv Preface xvii Chapter One: Survival in a City Transformed: The Urban Boxing Gym in Postindustrial New York 1 Chapter Two: Work without Wages 16 Chapter Three: Tough Love and Intimacy in a Community of Men 39 Chapter Four: Passing Time: The Expressive Culture of Everyday Gym Life 63 Chapter Five: The Changing Politics of Gender 89 Chapter Six: Buying and Selling Blackness: White-Collar Boxing and the Cultural Capital of Racial Difference 117 Epilogue 142 Methodological Appendix: Ethnographic Research in the Urban Gym 149 Notes 155 References 181 Index 193
- Author BiographyLucia Trimbur is assistant professor of sociology at the City University of New York's John Jay College of Criminal Justice and at the CUNY Graduate Center.
Save on Manuals & Resources
- £13.46Trending at £18.00
- £31.49Trending at £34.21
- £13.79Trending at £20.01
- £5.19Trending at £5.49
- £23.44Trending at £40.21
- £9.70Trending at £10.26
- £6.18Trending at £6.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.