All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Helen Johnston
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/02/2015
- GenreSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleHistory of Crime in the UK and Ireland
- Place of PublicationCullompton
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWillan Publishing
- Content Note2 black & white illustrations, 1 black & white tables, 2 black & white halftones
- Weight272 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Table Of ContentsIntroduction 1. The Causes of Crime 2. The Criminal Classes and the Habitual Offender 3. Policing England, 1815-1880 4. Capital and corporal punishments: From public to private 5. Transportation: Convicts to the colonies 6. Local Prisons: Diversity, discipline, centralisation 7. Convict Prisons: Experiencing Penal Servitude 8. Women, Crime and Custody 9. Juvenile Offenders: Responding to the problem of juvenile crime 10. Concluding remarks.
- Author BiographyHelen Johnston is Senior Lecturer in Criminology at the University of Hull. Her research interests lie in the history of crime and punishment, particularly in the penal system and offenders lives during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. She is the editor of Punishment & Control in Historical Perspective (Palgrave Macmillan, 2008) and co-editor of Prison Readings with Yvonne Jewkes (Willan, 2006).
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £4.83Trending at £6.10
- £6.82Trending at £9.98
- £23.12Trending at £34.98
- £14.94Trending at £18.98
- £10.01Trending at £10.66
- £24.21Trending at £25.19
- £25.99Trending at £28.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.