Best-selling in Manuals & Resources
Save on Manuals & Resources
- £5.38Trending at £5.52
- £10.54Trending at £10.85
- £14.90Trending at £16.99
- £19.59Trending at £26.28
- £9.08Trending at £9.50
- £13.65Trending at £14.08
- £12.17Trending at £13.76
About this product
- DescriptionProviding a critical and constructive analysis of Critical Buddhism, particularly the epistemological categories of critica and topica, this book examines contemporary theories of knowledge and ethics in order to situate Critical Buddhism within modern Japanese and Buddhist thought as well as in relation to trends in contemporary Western thought.
- Author BiographyJames Mark Shields received a B.A. in politics and anthropology from McGill University, Montreal, Canada in 1991, followed by a Masters in Philosophy from the University of Cambridge, U.K. in 1993, and a M.A. in philosophy of religion from McGill University in 1997. In 2000 he received a Monbugakusho (Ministry of Culture and Education) Fellowship from the Japanese government, allowing him to study at Kyoto University's Institute for Japanese Philosophy from 2000-2002. He received his Ph.D. in Buddhism and philosophy of religion from McGill University in 2006. His research includes modern Buddhist thought, Japanese philosophy, comparative ethics and philosophy of religion. He has published over a dozen articles, chapters and translations in peer-reviewed scholarly publications, and is currently engaged in writing a manuscript on the progressive and radical 'New Buddhist' movements of late-Meiji, Taisho and early Showa Japan. He has taught courses on a variety of subjects, including Asian and comparative religions and philosophy, sexual ethics, religion and gender studies, and religion and the arts for McGill University, Antioch College, Bucknell University and Doshisha University. He is currently Assistant Professor of Asian and Comparative Thought at Bucknell University, Lewisburg, PA and Visiting Faculty Fellow at Doshisha University, Kyoto, Japan, 2009-10.
- Author(s)James Mark Shields
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication18/03/2011
- GenreNon-Christian Religions
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight546 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine14 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.