All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis biography of Charles Darwin attempts to capture the private unknown life of the real man - the gambling and gluttony at Cambridge, his gruelling trip round the globe, his intimate family life, worries about persecution and thoughts about God.
- Author BiographyAdrian Desmond studied at London University and Harvard, has higher degrees in vertebrate palaeontology and the history of science, and a Ph.D. for his work on Victorian evolution. He is an Honorary Research Fellow in the Biology Department at University College London. Adrian Desmond's bestselling Darwin (Penguin, 1992, written with James Moore), won the James Tait Black Memorial Prize in Britain, the Grand Comisso Prize in Italy and the Watson Davis Prize from the History of Science Society in America. In 1997 the British Society for the History of Science awarded it the first Dingle Prize for the best book of the decade in communicating the history of science to a wide audience. His study of the pre-Darwinian generation, The Politics of Evolution (1989), received the Pfizer Award from the History of Science Society. He has also published The Hot-Blooded Dinosaurs (1975), The Ape's Reflexion (1979) and Archetypes and Ancestors (1982). In 1993 the Society for the History of Natural History awarded him its Founders' Medal. James Moore is a reader in history of science and technology at the Open University.
- PrizesWinner of James Tait Black Memorial Book Prize: Biography 1991.
- Author(s)Adrian J. Desmond,James Richard Moore
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication29/10/1992
- GenreBiography: Science, Technology & Medical
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Content Note32pp b&w illustrations, bibliography, index
- Weight585 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £4.58Trending at £4.82
- £4.44Trending at £7.98
- £14.32Trending at £19.99
- £6.80Trending at £10.86
- £5.09Trending at £5.55
- £19.03Trending at £19.65
- £7.00Trending at £8.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.