All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Iris Xie,Krystyna Matusiak
- PublisherElsevier Science Publishing Co Inc
- Date of Publication21/07/2016
- GenreLibrary & Information Science
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintElsevier Science Publishing Co Inc
- Weight930 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Table Of ContentsBiography Foreword Preface CHAPTER 1 Introduction to Digital Libraries CHAPTER 2 Digital Library Collection Development CHAPTER 3 Digitization of Text and Still Images CHAPTER 4 Digitization of Audio and Moving Image Collections CHAPTER 5 Metadata CHAPTER 6 Digital Library Management Systems CHAPTER 7 Interface Design and Evaluation CHAPTER 8 User Needs and Search Behaviors CHAPTER 9 Digital Preservation CHAPTER 10 Evaluation of Digital Libraries CHAPTER 11 New Developments and Challenges APPENDIX A Digitization Guides, Standards, and Best Practices APPENDIX B Examples of Metadata Schemas Reviewed in Chapter 5
- Author BiographyDr. Xie is a Professor in the School of Information Studies at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. She has been actively involved in the teaching and research of digital library design and evaluation for about 15 years. Her research interests and expertise focus on digital libraries, interactive information retrieval, human-computer interaction, as well as user needs and user studies. She has received several research grants from research grant programs for the study of digital libraries. She is the principal investigator for the Institute for Museum and Library Services National Leadership Grant Designing Interactive Help Mechanisms for Novice Users of Digital Libraries and for the Online Computer Library Center/the Association for Library and Information Science Education grant Universal Accessibility of Digital Libraries: Design of help mechanisms for blind users. In addition, she is one of the senior personnel on the National Science Foundation Grant The Internet Research Ethics Digital Library, Interactive Resource Center and Advisory Center. Her research projects range from the identification of types of sighted users and blind users' help-seeking situations in interacting with digital libraries as well as implications for interface design, digital library evaluation criteria and measures from different stakeholders of digital libraries, and social media applications in digital libraries. She has a strong publishing record in the field of library and information science. This book project is a natural progression in the active focus of Dr. Xie's research, as she has conducted a series of highly cited studies on digital libraries, published numerous papers in top-ranking journals, and presented at several national and international conferences. Her book Interactive Information Retrieval in Digital Environments was published in 2008, and the subject of digital libraries is one of the main topics covered in the book. Dr. Matusiak is an Assistant Professor in the Library & Information Science Program at the University of Denver. Her research interests focus on digitization of cultural heritage materials, indexing and retrieval of digital images, information behavior, use of digital libraries, and research methods. She combines practical experience in digitization and digital collections with research interests in use and evaluation of digital libraries. She has been involved in digitization of cultural heritage materials since 2001. Prior to accepting her position at the University of Denver, she worked as a Digital Collections Librarian at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee where she planned and designed over 20 distinct digital collections. She served as a co-investigator of the digitization project, funded by the National Endowment for Humanities, Saving and Sharing the American Geographical Society Library's Historic Nitrate Negative Images. She also served as a digitization consultant for projects funded by the Endangered Archive Programme at the British Library and assisted digital library projects at the Press Institute of Mongolia in Ulan Baatar, Mongolia and the Al-Aqsa Mosque Library in East Jerusalem. Her research projects include studies of information seeking behavior in digital collections, use of image and multimedia resources, and user interaction with large-scale digital libraries. She has published a number of articles on those topics and presented at national and international conferences. Dr. Matusiak contributes to this book her expertise in digitization, audiovisual materials, metadata, digital preservation, digital library management systems as well as her practical knowledge in building and managing digital collections.
Best-selling in Dictionaries & Reference
Save on Dictionaries & Reference
- £9.41Trending at £9.96
- £7.91Trending at £8.98
- £8.45Trending at £8.72
- £6.79Trending at £9.08
- £17.71Trending at £19.95
- £25.37Trending at £37.37
- £17.18Trending at £20.11
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.