Brand newLOWEST PRICE
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPart tribute to the Doris Day/Rock Hudson romantic comedies of the 1950s and 1960s, and part commentary on the changing sexual mores of a bygone era, DOWN WITH LOVE is a bright, funny, Technicolor treat that sets out to prove that opposites attract. Set in early-60s New York, the film follows the exploits of hot new feminist author Barbara Novak (Renee Zellweger), whose best-selling book Down With Love teaches women to focus on their careers, and never fall in love. This viewpoint is in direct contrast with Catcher (Catch) Block (Ewan McGregor), the simmering, smooth journalist and man-about-town. Catch and Barbara soon become arch enemies. But as the book sales soar, Catch hatches a devious plan, disguising himself in an attempt to seduce the divine Ms. Novak, thereby debunking the myths of her book, and simultaneously winning the journalistic scoop of the year. Director Peyton Reed has successfully emulated the comedies of yesteryear with this hammy, heady mix of endless double entendres, split-screen techniques, and a healthy dose of sexual politics. Zellweger and McGregor clearly delight in their retro roles, deliciously exaggerating their characters, with ample support provided by David Hyde Pierce and Sarah Paulson. DOWN WITH LOVE is a comedy that uses characters from the past to deliver a message that resonates in the present, and provides across-the-board appeal for audiences of all ages.
- Leading Role 1Renee Zellweger
- Director 1Peyton Reed
- Leading Role 2Ewan McGregor
- Leading Role 3David Hyde Pierce
- Additional Roles byTony Randall,Sarah Paulson
- Release FormatDVD
- Release Year2006
- Additional GenreRomantic
- Running Time97 minutes
Most relevant reviews
- tammy_83ot28 Jul, 2013by
Very entertaining film and makes you laugh!
I absolutely love this film! Renee Zwelleger and Ewan Mc Gregor put a great performance in this film; it's very funny and entertaining from beginning to the end. I just love both their characters and the quirkiness to this film. I have watched it many times over and never seem to get bored. Recommend it highly and looking forward to watching with my friends and family. I love promoting a good film and this is one of them. Easy to watch and puts you in a good mood throughout.
- 2boysmum2girls11 Aug, 2011by
A fun romantic movie that will probably be more for a girls night in. Fun and harmless. One for the girls.
- 652b5d2f6388a2d...26 Feb, 2011by
classic film for any girl
brought this dvd for my girlfriend as she loves her dvds and this was a must needed film for her dvd collection.thank you for selling it.
- gulmichael22 May, 2010by
Rom-com, typical of its genre, I've seen a lot worse
There are films I make a real effort to catch at the cinema, there are others that I wanted to see at the cinema but didn't get the chance so bought the DVD, while there are others that completely passed me by at the cinema but I bought on DVD because they sounded like they would be right up my boulevard so to speak. Then there's stuff that I buy cheap in the sales on a whim just because there is nothing better to watch that night, most usually because I'd seen one of the actors in something else, quite liked it and decided to give another of their movies a chance. Finally, the films that I buy simply because of a little fetish I have. There was no real reason for me to buy "Friends with Money" apart from the fact it features Jennifer Aniston (Rachel Greene in TVs "Friends") in a cute French Maid uniform, the same as my reasons for buying "Down with Love" was simply to see Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine in "Star Trek: Voyager" in an air stewardesses uniform. What can I say, I'm a sucker for a woman in uniform. The problem is of course that my main reason for purchase is never a major part of the film and the scenes I most want to use the "repeat" function for last for only a depressingly short period of time. Inbetween these scenes, one can only hope that the film around them is at least half-entertaining. "Friends with Money" was pretty naff, but at least "Down with Love" is pretty amusing in places, a homage to sixties sex comedies of years gone by. I've always thought Renée Zellweger to be somewhat overrated as an actress, whilst my opinions of Ewan McGregor aren't much higher - they're certainly something of an odd pairing for the romantic leads in a chick flick. I'm not sure which of his character names is most ridiculous - "Catcher Block", or his alter-ego "Zip Martin". Please tell me there is no-one walking around America today with the christian name "Catcher". God, I hope not. At least there's a fair selection of extra features on the DVD. At the right price, this is a good purchase, and yes, Jeri Ryan does look good in a stewardess uniform. It's just a shame she's not on-screen more often! For the genre it represents, "Down With love" sits somewhere just the right side of average, and is good enough to keep both halves of the audience entertained, both male and female, and that can't be a bad thing. 6/10 Read full review
- tiny-teeny-ween...15 Dec, 2009by
Down With Love DVD
Extremely Fab Film! Watched it many times and wanted a copy to watch over and over again! Would definately recommend to any viewer!!
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in DVDs & Blu-rays
Save on DVDs & Blu-rays
- £6.50Trending at £8.22
- £10.00Trending at £18.93
- £5.49Trending at £5.74
- £27.49Trending at £31.77
- £8.95Trending at £9.61
- £5.49Trending at £7.19
- £11.50Trending at £21.23