All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Asli Niyazioglu
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/10/2016
- GenreHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleBirmingham Byzantine and Ottoman Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight362 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Table Of ContentsAcknowledgements Note on Transliteration and Manuscripts Introduction Chapter One: The Biographer Between This World and the Hereafter Patrons and Adversaries Sufi Sheikhs and the Very Special Dead Father and Son Chapter Two: Collection of Lives as a Well-Ordered Garden Ottoman Biographers and Sufi Lives: An Overview A Well-Ordered Garden: Empire, Decorum and Exclusivity Gardener at Work: 'Ata'i and His Sources Chapter Three: From This World to the Realm of Dreams Dreams, Careers and Biographers Nightmares on the Sufi Path Hereafter in the Mirror of Dreams Chapter Four: The Dead and Visits from the Hereafter The Living and the Dead in Seventeenth-Century Istanbul Apparitions and Embraces Dreams and Tokens of Remembrance Epilogue Appendix: Sample Biographical Notice Bibliography Index
- Author BiographyAsli Niyazioglu is Assistant Professor of History at Koc University, Istanbul. After receiving her PhD from Harvard University in 2003, she taught at the University of Oxford and was a fellow at Wissenschaftskolleg Institute of Advanced Study at Berlin. She works on early modern Ottoman history with a special interest in the lives of poets, scholars, and Sufis of Istanbul.
Save on Manuals & Resources
- £13.46Trending at £18.04
- £32.33Trending at £33.22
- £29.85Trending at £32.99
- £13.79Trending at £19.99
- £20.62Trending at £30.00
- £4.45Trending at £4.99
- £7.05Trending at £9.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.