All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPresents an overview of all Earth-related disciplines - from geology, hydrology, and oceanography to meteorology and astronomy. This book explores the physical attributes of planet Earth and its environment, emphasizing the human choices we have made, and exploring the physical consequences of those choices in the context of Earth systems.
- Author BiographyGray Thompson is Professor of Geology at The University of Montana where he teaches Introductory Geology, Mineralogy, Summer Field Mapping, and graduate courses in Clay Mineralogy and Shale Petrology. He has published over 20 research papers in international journals, mostly co-authored with his students. He is also a mountaineer and professional guide with first ascents, many with Jon Turk, of peaks and routes in the Rocky Mountains, Alaska, the Yukon, Baffin Island, the Alps, the Karakoram, and the Himalayas. He has authored many articles published in international climbing magazines and journals, and has been the subject of other articles in these publications. Many of the photographs in his texts were taken by Thompson and Turk on their climbing trips and expeditions over the last eighteen years. Jon Turk is a chemist, professional geoscience writer, and adventurer. He received his PhD in 1971, and later that year he co-authored the first environmental science college textbook in the country. In the 32 years since then, Turk has continued his career as a science writer, publishing 23 environmental and geoscience texts. His love of unspoiled environments and fascination for the wild places of this planet have also led to a distinguished career as an adventurer. He has kayaked around Cape Horn as well as the 3,000 miles between Japan and Alaska, crossed the western Gobi of Mongolia, unsupported, on a mountain bike, and was the first to ascend Lamo-she Peak (6,070 meters) in the eastern Himalayas with co-author Gray Thompson. He has written numerous magazine articles about his expeditions as well as adventure/travel books, including In the Wake of the Jomon: Stone Age Mariners and a Voyage Across the Pacific (McGraw Hill, 2005).
- Author(s)Graham R. Thompson,Jonathan Turk
- PublisherCengage Learning, Inc
- Date of Publication24/03/2010
- FormatMixed media product
- GenreGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight1090 g
- Width217 mm
- Height275 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Contained items statementContains Paperback and Online resource
Save on Manuals & Resources
- £13.46Trending at £18.00
- £31.49Trending at £34.21
- £13.79Trending at £20.01
- £23.44Trending at £40.21
- £9.70Trending at £10.26
- £20.62Trending at £30.02
- £4.45Trending at £5.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.