Best-selling in Adult Learning & University
Save on Adult Learning & University
- £23.02Trending at £23.27
- £34.00Trending at £37.78
- £23.02Trending at £23.27
- £40.35Trending at £40.90
- £42.67Trending at £47.49
- £19.49Trending at £20.99
- £36.74Trending at £40.48
About this product
- Author(s)Ara Hatamian
- PublisherPearson Education (US)
- Date of Publication07/01/2016
- GenreNational Law: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationUpper Saddle River
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrentice Hall
- Weight617 g
- Width216 mm
- Height276 mm
- Table Of ContentsPART I-INTRODUCTION CHAPTER 1 An Overview and History of Employment Law 1 Introduction to Employment Law 1 Jobs for Employment Law Professionals 1 General Information for Your First Day on the Job 2 Paralegals and Their Duties 3 The U.S. Constitution and the History of Employment Law 3 The U.S. Constitution 3 Legislative History of Employment Law 4 Summary 9 Key Terms 9 Review Questions 9 Critical Thinking Questions 9 Workplace Projects 10 APPENDIX I Transcript of Constitution of the United States (1787) 11 CHAPTER 2 Ethical Obligations of Paralegals 20 Introduction to Ethics-rules of Professional Conduct 20 Ethical Obligations 20 Duty of Confidentiality 21 Misrepresentation 21 Client Relationship 22 Unauthorized Practice of Law 22 Conflict of Interest: Duty of Loyalty 22 Corporations 23 Fee Agreements 23 Fee Agreements and Monetary Issues 23 Summary 26 Key Terms 27 Review Questions 27 Critical Thinking Questions 27 Workplace Projects 27 APPENDIX II california rules of professional conduct 29 PART II-EMPLOYER-EMPLOYEE RELATIONSHIP CHAPTER 3 Establishment of The Employer-Employee Relationship 62 Introduction to Employment Relationships 62 Types of Employment Relationships 62 Temporary Employment 62 At-Will Employment 64 Part-Time versus Full-Time Employment 65 Government Employment: Civilian/Sworn 65 Additional Areas of Consideration 67 Vicarious Liability: Respondeat Superior 67 Independent Contractor 67 Establishment of Employment Relationships 69 The Employment Process 70 Introduction 70 Expectations 70 Beginning of the Employment Relationship 71 Maintenance of the Employment Relationship 72 Growth, Decline, and End of the Employment Relationship 72 Additional Areas of Consideration For Employees 72 Stability and Pay 72 Performance 73 Retirement Accounts and Pensions 73 Additional Areas of Consideration for Employers 73 Meeting Organizational Goals 73 Liability Risks 74 Summary 74 Key Terms 74 Review Questions 74 Critical Thinking Questions 75 Workplace Projects 75 APPENDIX III California Government Code Peace Officers Bill of Rights 3300-3313 76 CHAPTER 4 Unions and Collective Bargaining 83 Introduction to Unions and Collective Bargaining 83 Historical Events Contributing to Union Formation 83 Employee Rights Under the National Labor Relations Act 84 Protections Provided by the NLRA 84 Prohibitions on Employers for ULPs by the NLRA 85 The Purpose of Unions 86 The Primary Functions of Unions 86 Collective Bargaining 87 Memorandum of Understandings 90 Summary 90 Key Terms 90 Review Questions 90 Critical Thinking Questions 91 Workplace Projects 91 APPENDIX IV National Labor Relations Act 92 PART III-FEDERAL AND STATE LAWS CHAPTER 5 Wage/Hour Laws and The Affordable Care Act 120 Introduction-Wage/Hour Laws and The Affordable Care Act 120 Wage and Hour Requirements: FLSA and EPA 120 Exempt and Nonexempt Employment 120 Work Hours 121 Minimum Wage Laws 122 Overtime Pay 123 Pay Equality 126 Benefits 126 Holiday Pay 127 Severance Pay 127 Remedies and Penalties/Sanctions 127 Affordable Care Act 128 Summary 129 Key Terms 129 Review Questions 129 Critical Thinking Questions 129 Workplace Projects 129 CHAPTER 6 What Is The Family Medical Leave Act? 131 Brief History of FMLA 131 Introduction-Overview and Purpose of FMLA 131 Rights and Duties of Employers and Employees Under FMLA 132 Covered Employers and Eligible Employees-How to Qualify for FMLA? 132 What Is the Certification Process? 132 How Long Is the Employee Protected Under FMLA? 137 Duties Pertaining to Notices 137 Summary 138 Key Terms 138 Review Questions 138 Critical Thinking Questions 138 Workplace Projects 138 APPENDIX V Certification of Health Care Provider for Family Member's Serious Health Condition 141 CHAPTER 7 What is The Amer
- Author BiographyAra A. Hatamian is a Juris Doctorate degreed Advocate for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department (LASD), specializing in the discipline of civilian and sworn personnel. Mr. Hatamian was also a former Civil Service Commissioner for the City of Glendale, CA. Prior to his appointment as an Advocate and City Commissioner, Mr. Hatamian worked for the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office assisting in the prosecution of criminal defendants in the County of Los Angeles. Mr. Hatamian prides himself as a civil servant and has volunteered teaching intercity fifth graders about crime prevention. Mr. Hatamian's true passion is teaching. Since 2005, he has taught several different college level legal courses as a lead instructor, earning the teacher of the year award. Recently he was accepted into the prestigious International Network to Promote the Rule of Law (INPROL), located in Washington D.C. Mr. Hatamian is looking forward to contributing to the international community by enforcing discipline in law enforcement agencies across the globe. As a legal professional in executive management, Mr. Hatamian has experience both in the private sector and the government sector. The majority of Mr. Hatamian's experience consists of Criminal Law, Torts Law, Civil Service and Administrative Law, and matters of Civil Rights. His contribution to Civil Rights has been recognized by the Museum of Tolerance, with the inclusion of his name on the Wall of Tolerance in Montgomery Alabama. On his free time, Mr. Hatamian enjoys spending time and traveling with his wife and two adorable daughters. Mr. Hatamian's favorite quote is Choose a career path you love and you will never have to work a day in your life.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.