All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIntended for those interested in exercise physiology, clinical exercise physiology, human performance, kinesiology/exercise science, this book offers clinical applications, including exercise tests to evaluate cardiorespiratory fitness and information on exercise training for improvements in health-related physical fitness and sports performance.
- Author BiographyScott K. Powers is a Distinguished Professor and the UAA Endowed professor in the Department of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology at the University of Florida. Powers enjoys teaching and has earned three University of Florida teaching awards. Dr. Powers' research has focused on exercise-mediated changes in cardiac and skeletal muscle antioxidant systems and the role that these changes play in providing protection against oxidant injury. Further, he is actively investigating the mechanisms responsible for respiratory muscle weakness in patients subjected to prolonged periods of mechanical ventilation. Dr. Powers' laboratory work has been funded by grants totaling more than five million dollars from the National Institutes of Health, American Heart Association, American Lung Association, and the Florida Biomedical Research Program. This research has resulted in over 180 peer-reviewed research publications. Scott has also co-authored four college textbooks for use in exercise physiology and fitness courses. Powers is active in both the American Physiological Society and the American College of Sports Medicine. He also serves as an Associate Editor for the American Journal of Physiology-Reg. and is a member of the editorial board for the Journal of Applied Physiology, the International Journal of Sports Medicine, and the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. Scott Powers received his bachelor's degree in physical education from Carson Newman College, his master's degree in exercise physiology from the University of Georgia, and a doctorate (EdD) in exercise physiology from the University of Tennessee. Powers earned a second doctoral degree (PhD) in physiology from Louisiana State University. Edward Howley received his BS degree from Manhattan College and his MS and PhD degrees from The University of Wisconsin, Madison. He completed a one-year post-doctoral appointment at Penn State University and began his career at the University of Tennessee in 1970. He taught a variety of courses in physiology, exercise physiology and fitness testing and prescription over 36 years. He also served as an administrator of the Exercise Science program/department. He retired in 2007 and holds the rank of professor emeritus. He has received several awards for his teaching. Most of Dr. Howley's volunteer efforts have been with the American College of Sports Medicine, where he served as president from 2002-2003. He is the Editor-in-Chief of ACSM's Health & Fitness Journal, and is chair of the program planning committee for the annual ACSM Health & Fitness Summit meeting.
- PublisherMcGraw-Hill Education - Europe
- Date of Publication30/10/2014
- GenreMedicine: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcGraw-Hill Professional
- Weight1404 g
- Width218 mm
- Height277 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edition Statement9th edition
Best-selling in Health, Treatments & Medicine
Save on Health, Treatments & Medicine
- £64.15Trending at £79.75
- £41.42Trending at £46.34
- £34.99Trending at £38.43
- £17.90Trending at £20.08
- £27.55Trending at £30.39
- £28.56Trending at £31.28
- £22.34Trending at £28.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.