All listings for this product
Best-selling in History & Military
About this product
- DescriptionExotic animals were coveted commodities in nineteenth-century Britain. Spectators flocked to zoos and menageries to see female lion tamers and hungry hippos. Helen Cowie examines zoos and travelling menageries in the period 1800-1880, using animal exhibitions to examine issues of class, gender, imperial culture and animal welfare.
- Author BiographyHelen Cowie is Lecturer in History at the University of York, UK. She is author of Conquering Nature in Spain and its Empire, 1750-1850 (2011).
- Author(s)H. Cowie
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication18/06/2014
- GenreHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content NoteIX, 256 p.
- Weight465 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.