All listings for this product
Best-selling in Adult Learning & University
Save on Adult Learning & University
- £7.80Trending at £10.19
- £13.56Trending at £17.30
- £8.99Trending at £11.20
- £31.22Trending at £32.42
- £16.56Trending at £25.00
- £25.98Trending at £26.99
- £24.84Trending at £26.99
About this product
- Author(s)Dana E. Backman,Michael A. Seeds
- PublisherCengage Learning, Inc
- Date of Publication31/03/2016
- GenreScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationMason, OH
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCENGAGE Learning Custom Publishing
- Weight1860 g
- Width236 mm
- Height276 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edition Statement13th Enhanced
- Table Of ContentsPART 1: THE SKY. 1. Here and Now. 2. A User's Guide to the Sky. 3. Moon Phases and Eclipses. 4. Origins of Modern Astronomy. 5. Gravity. 6. Light and Telescopes. PART 2: THE STARS. 7. Atoms and Spectra. 8. The Sun. 9. The Family of Stars. 10. The Interstellar Medium. 11. Formation and Structure of Stars. 12. Stellar Evolution. 13. Deaths of Stars. 14. Neutron Stars and Black Holes. PART 3: GALAXIES AND THE UNIVERSE. 15. The Milky Way Galaxy. 16. Galaxies. 17. Supermassive Black Holes and Active Galaxies. 18. Modern Cosmology. PART 4: THE SOLAR SYSTEM. 19. Origin of the Solar System and Extrasolar Planets. 20. Earth: The Active Planet. 21. The Moon and Mercury. 22. Venus and Mars. 23. Jupiter and Saturn. 24. Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, and the Kuiper Belt. 25. Meteorites, Asteroids, and Comets. Part 5: LIFE. 26. Astrobiology. Afterword. Appendix A: Scientific Units and Astronomical Data. Appendix B: Star Charts. Glossary.
- Author BiographyDana Backman taught in the physics and astronomy department at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, from 1991 until 2003. He invented and taught a course titled Life in the Universe in F&M's interdisciplinary Foundations program. Dana now teaches introductory Solar System astronomy at Santa Clara University and introductory astronomy, astrobiology, and cosmology courses in Stanford University's Continuing Studies Program. His research interests focus on infrared observations of planet formation, models of debris disks around nearby stars, and evolution of the solar system's Kuiper belt. Dana is employed by the SETI Institute in Mountain View, California, as director of education and public outreach for SOFIA (the Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy) at NASA's Ames Research Center. Dana is coauthor with Mike Seeds of Horizons: Exploring the Universe, 14th edition (2018); Universe: Solar Systems, Stars, and Galaxies, 7th edition (2012); Stars and Galaxies, 8th edition (2013); The Solar System, 8th edition (2013); and ASTRO, 2nd edition (2013), all published by Cengage. Mike Seeds was a professor of physics and astronomy at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, from 1970 until his retirement in 2001. In 1989 he received F&M College's Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching. Mike's love for the history of astronomy led him to create upper-level courses on archaeoastronomy and on the Copernican Revolution ( Changing Concepts of the Universe ). His research interests focused on variable stars and automation of astronomical telescopes. Mike is coauthor with Dana Backman of Horizons: Exploring the Universe, 12th edition (2012); Universe: Solar Systems, Stars, and Galaxies, 7th edition (2012); Stars and Galaxies, 8th edition (2013); The Solar System, 8th edition (2013); and ASTRO, 2nd edition (2013), all published by Cengage. He was senior consultant for creation of the 20-episode telecourse accompanying his book Horizons: Exploring the Universe.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.