CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Manuals & Resources
Save on Manuals & Resources
- £19.59Trending at £26.39
- £9.48Trending at £13.06
- £9.60Trending at £11.19
- £4.79Trending at £5.19
- £15.50Trending at £19.06
- £13.65Trending at £14.14
- £10.95Trending at £15.72
About this product
- DescriptionWhen the Boer Republics invaded Natal in 1899, the invaders could have been driven out with casualties measured in hundreds. Instead Britain was to lose nearly 9,000 men killed in action, more than 13,000 to disease and a further 75,000 wounded and sick were invalided back to Britain. The war ended in 1902 with a very unsatisfactory Peace Treaty.
- Author BiographyHugh Rethman was born in Natal into a family of farmers and traders whose forbears numbered the early settlers there. His great grandfather commanded the Border Mounted Rifles, a volunteer colonial regiment which took part in various engagements preceding and during the siege of Ladysmith, as well as pursuing the Boers from the province. As a boy aged fourteen, following the death of his father, he had to find work sweeping and cleaning a shop for a trader to help support his family. He was educated at St Andrew's College, Grahamstown before reading English literature, economics, economic history, and political philosophy at the University of Natal. A keen sportsman and horseman, he later moved to England where he read law at the University of Leeds. He qualified as a Barrister and practised law in both England and South Africa, and also ran a retail business in Durban. He holds a wide range of interests, but is particularly passionate about history. He has written articles on the Boer War for the journals of the Victorian Military History Society and the Military History Society of South Africa. He lives in Suffolk, England. Friends and Enemies is his first book.
- Author(s)Rethman Hugh
- PublisherChevron Publishing Limited
- Date of Publication18/05/2015
- GenreMilitary History
- Place of PublicationPulborough
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintChevron Publishing Limited
- Out-of-print date05/05/2017
- Content Noteb/w photos throughout; includes maps
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.