All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
- £13.02Was:£14.95Free postage
- £12.65Was:£14.95Free postage
About this product
- DescriptionThis book traces an extraordinary career through nearly four decades of military aviation. Dick Lord, well known as an aviation raconteur, tells a tale of military flying at its very best. He covers, in amusing detail, the life of a carrier pilot in both the Royal Naval Fleet Air Arm and the United States Navy.
- Author BiographyBrigadier-General Dick Lord was born in Johannesburg where he grew up. He joined the Royal Navy as an air cadet in 1958, where he qualified as a fighter pilot. Flying Sea Venoms and Sea Vixens, he served on board the aircraft carriers Centaur, Victorious, Hermes and Ark Royal on cruises around the world. In the mid '60s, he was selected for a two-year exchange tour with the US Navy, flying A4 Skyhawks and F4 Phantoms out of San Diego, California. He completed tours of air warfare instruction, flying Hunters out of the naval air stations at Lossiemouth, Scotland and Brawdy, Wales. He returned to South Africa in early '70s and joined the South African Air Force (SAAF), flying Impalas, Sabres and Mirage IIIs. During the Border War, he commanded 1 Squadron, flying Mirage F1AZs into Angola, followed by running air force operations out of Oshikati, Windhoek and SAAF Headquarters in Pretoria. He was mentioned in dispatches for his role in the remarkable rescue of all 581 people from the ill-fated liner Oceanos. A highlight of his career was organizing the successful fly-past of 76 aircraft for Nelson Mandela's inauguration as President of South Africa in 1994. He retired to Somerset West near Cape Town with his wife June. He is also author of Fire, Flood and Ice (to be republished in 2010 as Standby!), his first book, which chronicles some of the SAAF's spectacular search and rescue operations; Vlamgat-The Story of the Mirage F1 in the South African Air Force and his latest best-seller, From Fledgling to Eagle-The South African Air Force during the Border War, released in late 2008.
- Author(s)Brigadier-General Dick Lord
- Publisher30 Degrees South Publishers
- Date of Publication01/09/2009
- GenreMilitary History
- Place of PublicationJohannesburg
- Country of PublicationSouth Africa
- Imprint30 Degrees South Publishers
- Width152 mm
- Height220 mm
Best-selling in History & Military
Save on History & Military
- £24.50Trending at £31.25
- £24.31Trending at £34.99
- £9.41Trending at £16.91
- £9.53Trending at £14.92
- £7.60Trending at £9.99
- £18.98Trending at £29.86
- £11.55Trending at £14.92
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.