Best-selling in Adult Learning & University
Save on Adult Learning & University
- £17.73Trending at £20.11
- £9.22Trending at £9.33
- £24.56Trending at £25.98
- £26.45Trending at £27.79
- £19.99Trending at £23.85
- £28.00Trending at £30.30
- £15.72Trending at £15.97
About this product
- DescriptionThis expanded autobiography of the theoretical physicist Isaak Khalatnikov, first head of the Institute for Theoretical Physics, describes life and work in the golden age of Soviet science. Many of the stories included are published here for the first time.
- Author BiographyBorn 17 October 1919 in Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine, USSR. Graduated from Dnipropetrovsk State University (Physical Department) in 1941. Defended candidate dissertation (Ph.D thesis) in 1948. From 1945 till 1965 worked as researcher and then the head of department at P.L. Kapitza Institute of Physical Problems of the USSR Academy of Sciences. In 1952 defended Dr. Sci. dissertation. From 1965 till 1992 was director of L.D. Landau Institute for Theoretical Physics of the USSR Academy of Sciences (now Russian Academy of Sciences), since 1993 honorary director of L.D. Landau Institute for Theoretical Physics. From 1994 till now President of Landau Network - Centro Volta (Como, Italy).Since 1954 professor at Moscow Institute for Physics and Technology (Phystech) and from 1993 till now professor at Tel Aviv University, School of Physics and Astronomy.In 1972 was elected the corresponding member of the USSR Academy of Sciences and in 1984 became the full member (academician).Was also elected as foreign member of Royal Society in 1994, became Lorentz Professor at Leiden University in 1968.Decorated with USSR and Russian orders.Was awarded: State Prize of the USSR 1953, Landau Prize of the USSR Academy of Sciences 1974, Alexander-von-Humboldt Award 1989, Kiwanis Prize For Science and Disarmament 1999.I.M. Khalatnikov is the author of several hundreds papers and many books including: Introduction to the Theory of Superfluidity (W.A. Benjamin, Inc. New York, Amsterdam, 1965), Landau: The Physicist and the Man (Recollections of L.D. Landau edited by I.M. Khalatnikov) ( Pergamon Press, Oxford, New York, Beijing, Frankfurt, Sao Paulo, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto, 1989), The theory of superfluidity (Nauka, Moscow, 1971).
- Author(s)Isaak M. Khalatnikov
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. KG
- Date of Publication11/06/2014
- GenreScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationBerlin
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. K
- Content NoteXII, 216 p.
- Weight355 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Edition Statement2012 ed.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.