Consider these sponsored items
All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Bernard J. Hamrock,Bo O. Jacobson,Steven R. Schmid
- PublisherApple Academic Press Inc.
- Date of Publication09/07/2014
- GenreMechanical Engineering
- Place of PublicationOakville
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintApple Academic Press Inc.
- Content Note466 black & white illustrations, 121 black & white tables
- Weight1746 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
- Table Of ContentsPart I - Fundamentals Introduction What is Design? Design of Mechanical Systems Design as a Multidisciplinary Endeavor Design of Machine Elements Computers in Design Catalogs and Vendors Units Unit Checks Significant Figures Summary Load, Stress, and Strain Introduction Critical Section Load Classification and Sign Convention Support Reactions Static Equilibrium Free-Body Diagram Supported Beams Shear and Moment Diagrams Stress Stress Element Stress Tensor Plane Stress Mohr's Circle Three-Dimensional Stresses Octahedral Stresses Strain Strain Tensor Plane Strain Summary Introduction to Materials and Manufacturing Introduction Ductile and Brittle Materials Classification of Solid Materials Stress-Strain Diagrams Properties of Solid Materials Stress-Strain Relationships Two-Parameter Materials Charts Effects of Manufacturing Summary Stresses and Strains Introduction Properties of Beam Cross Sections Normal Stress and Strain Torsion Bending Stress and Strain Transverse Shear Stress and Strain Summary Deformation Introduction Moment-Curvature Relation Singularity Functions Method of Superposition Strain Energy Castigliano's Theorem Summary Failure Prediction for Static Loading Introduction Stress Concentration Fracture Mechanics Modes of Crack Growth Fracture Toughness Failure Prediction for Uniaxial Stress State Failure Prediction for Multiaxial Stress State Summary Fatigue and Impact Introduction Fatigue Cyclic Stresses Strain Life Theory of Fatigue Fatigue Strength Fatigue Regimes Stress Concentration Effects The Modified Endurance Limit Cumulative Damage Influence of Nonzero Mean Stress Influence of Multi-Axial Stress States Fracture Mechanics Approach to Fatigue Linear Impact Stresses and Deformations Summary Lubrication, Friction, and Wear Introduction Surface Parameters Conformal and Nonconformal Surfaces Hertzian Contact Bearing Materials Lubricant Rheology Regimes of Lubrication Friction Wear Summary Part II - Machine Elements Columns Introduction Equilibrium Regimes Concentrically Loaded Columns End Conditions Euler's Buckling Criterion Johnson's Buckling Criterion AISC Criteria Eccentrically Loaded Columns Summary Stresses and Deformations in Cylinders Introduction Tolerances and Fits Pressurization Effects Rotational Effects Press Fits Shrink Fits Summary Shafting and Associated Parts Introduction Design of Shafts for Static Loading Fatigue Design of Shafts Additional Shaft Design Considerations Critical Speed of Rotating Shafts Keys, Roll Pins, Splines and Set Screws Retaining Rings and Pins Flywheels Couplings Summary Hydrodynamic and Hydrostatic Bearings Introduction The Reynolds Equation Thrust Slider Bearings Journal Slider Bearings Squeeze Film Bearings Hydrostatic Bearings Summary Rolling-Element Bearings Introduction Historical Overview Bearing Types and Selection Geometry Kinematics Separators Static Load Distribution Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication Fatigue Life Variable Loading Summary General Gear Theory; Spur Gears Introduction Types of Gears Gear Geometry Gear Ratio Contact Ratio and Gear Velocity Tooth Thickness and Backlash Gear Trains Gear Manufacture and Quality Gear Materials Loads Acting on a Gear Tooth Bending Stresses in Gear Teeth Contact Stresses in Gear Teeth Elastohydrodynamic Film Thickness Gear Design Synthesis Summary Helical, Bevel, and Worm Gears Introduction Helical Gears Bevel Gears Worm Gears Summary Fasteners, Connections, and Power Screws Introduction Thread Terminology, Classification, and Des
- Author BiographySteven R. Schmid received his B.S. in mechanical engineering from the Illinois Institute of Technology in 1986. He earned his master's degree from Northwestern University in 1989 and his Ph.D. in 1993, both in mechanical engineering. In 1993 he joined the faculty at the University of Notre Dame, where he is a professor of aerospace and mechanical engineering, teaching and conducting research in design and manufacturing. Dr. Schmid holds professional engineering (P.E.) and certified manufacturing engineer (C.Mfg.E.) licenses. He was awarded the ASME Foundation Swanson Fellowship in 2012, and is a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Bernard J. Hamrock joined the staff of Ohio State University as a professor of mechanical engineering in 1985 and is now professor emeritus. Before joining Ohio State University he spent 18 years as a research consultant in the Tribology Branch of the NASA Lewis Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio. He received his Ph.D. and doctor of engineering degrees from the University of Leeds, England. His research has resulted in a book, three separate chapters for handbooks, and over 150 archival publications. He has received several awards including the 2000 Mayo D. Hersey Award from the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Bo O. Jacobson received his Ph.D. and D.Sc. degrees from Lund University in Sweden. From 1973 until 1987 he was professor of machine elements at Lulea University of Technology in Sweden. In 1987 he joined SKF Engineering & Research Centre in the Netherlands, while retaining a professorship at Chalmers University from 1987 to 1991 and at Lulea University of Technology from 1992 to 1997. In 1997 he was appointed professor of machine elements at Lund University, Sweden. He has published four compendia used at Swedish universities, and has contributed more than 100 archival publications. His awards include the Tribology Gold Medal received in 1997.
Best-selling in Engineering & Technology
Save on Engineering & Technology
- £36.77Trending at £68.30
- £16.78Trending at £22.84
- £37.19Trending at £44.34
- £13.77Trending at £14.88
- £27.56Trending at £29.91
- £22.60Trending at £35.11
- £12.17Trending at £15.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.