All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA woman makes a surprising discovery with dangerous consequences in this period suspense thriller, set in 1939. Anne Keyes (Romola Garai) is an attractive young woman who is enjoying modest success as a film actress; she's also the adopted daughter of Alexander Keyes (Bill Nighy), a career politician and Member of Parliament. Anne still lives in the family home with her father, mother Maud (Jenny Agutter), budding diplomat brother Ralph (Eddie Redmayne) and socialite sister Celia (Juno Temple). One night, Hector (David Tennant), one of Alexander's friends, stops by for dinner and during a heated conversation makes no secret of his disapproval of prime minister Neville Chamberlain and his efforts to appease Adolph Hitler's Nazi regime. Another dinner guest, Balcombe (Jeremy Northam) doesn't care for what Hector has to say, and later that evening, Hector is found dead, an apparent suicide. Anne, however, begins to suspect foul play when she finds a set of phonograph records that document conversations of men discussing state intelligence secrets. When Anne ties to share this discovery with others, they're soon found dead, and she's no longer certain what she should do with these deadly secrets.
- Leading Role 1Jenny Agutter
- Director 1Stephen Poliakoff
- Leading Role 2Romola Garai
- Leading Role 3Christopher Lee
- Additional Roles byJulie Christie,Bill Nighy,Corin Redgrave,Hugh Bonneville,Eddie Redmayne
- ProducerMartin Pope,Barney Reisz
- ScreenwriterStephen Poliakoff
- Score ComposerAdrian Johnston
- EditorJason Krasucki
- Release FormatDVD
- Release Year2010
- Additional GenreGeneral
- Running Time124 minutes
Most relevant reviews
- noddy2201203 Nov, 2016by
very enjoyable from start to finish great acting from some of the finest actors
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
- little-boy-blue...27 Oct, 2013by
Tried to watch this dvd twice and I've fallen asleep both times.
I am not giving up on this dvd because of the Stephen Poliakoff connection. My husband lasted until the end and he thought that the plot was long winded. That said, when he recounted the storyline to me, it sounded like my kind of film. I shall give it a third attempt.
- noreen0_331 Oct, 2010by
Great cast,great movie
Really enjoyed watching this movie set in the glorious Summer of 1939. It is a very interesting storyline,and all the cast are excellent.Well worth watching.
- meeshnz01 Jun, 2010by
this film is a thriller set in 1939 with superb acting
I bought this dvd because I missed seeing it at the cinema and am interested in the work of Stephen Poliakoff.The story is intriguing and the acting superb.I particularly like Romola Garai having seen her in Atonement.
- iom200323 May, 2010by
A VERY ENJOYABLE FILM, A SUPERB CAST AND OF COURSE THE ERA IT TOOK PLACE PR. WAR. RECOMENDED IF YOU ENJOY A GOOD DETAILED STORY AND BEAUTIFULLY PHOTOGRAPHED.
Best-selling in DVDs & Blu-rays
Save on DVDs & Blu-rays
- £6.25Trending at £8.79
- £6.89Trending at £9.62
- £3.99Trending at £7.81
- £2.78Trending at £3.01
- £30.75Trending at £32.20
- £9.50Trending at £12.80
- £8.95Trending at £9.73