All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCoketown is dominated by the figure of Mr Thomas Gradgrind, school owner and model of Utilitarian success. Feeding both his pupils and his family with facts, he bans fancy and wonder from young minds. As a consequence his obedient daughter Louisa marries the loveless businessman.
- Author BiographyCharles Dickens (1812-70) had his first, astounding success with his first novel The Pickwick Papers and never looked back. In an extraordinarily full life he wrote, campaigned and spoke on a huge range of issues, and was involved in many of the key aspects of Victorian life, by turns cajoling, moving and irritating. He completed fourteen full-length novels and volume after volume of journalism. Hard Times delivers a powerful indictment of materialism in industrial society, and vividly portrays the perils of the institutionalised crushing of imagination and creativity. The Pickwick Papers, Oliver Twist, Nicholas Nickleby, The Old Curiosity Shop, Barnaby Rudge, A Christmas Carol, Martin Chuzzlewit, Dombey and Son, David Copperfield, Bleak House, Little Dorrit, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations, Our Mutual Friend and The Mystery of Edwin Drood are also published in the Penguin English Library.
- Author(s)Charles Dickens
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication26/07/2012
- GenreGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleThe Penguin English Library
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight255 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in General & Literary Fiction
Save on General & Literary Fiction
- £3.59Trending at £6.98
- £5.43Trending at £8.99
- £7.92Trending at £10.96
- £5.95Trending at £8.99
- £4.39Trending at £6.98
- £6.27Trending at £7.99
- £5.46Trending at £10.00
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.