All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Barbara Miller Lane
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication06/10/2015
- GenreRegional History
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note224 halftones.
- Weight1077 g
- Width203 mm
- Height248 mm
- Table Of ContentsA Personal Note vii Acknowledgments ix PROLOGUE Paraphrases of Original Buyers' Recollections 1 CHAPTER 1 New Houses and New Communities 3 CHAPTER 2 West Coast Builders: Los Angeles and Orange County 47 CHAPTER 3 East Coast Builders: Philadelphia and Boston 93 CHAPTER 4 The Builders of Chicago's Golden Corridor: Midwestern Ranches and Splits 139 CHAPTER 5 The Buyers, Their Backgrounds, and Their Preferences 187 CHAPTER 6 Conclusion: Houses and Suburbs Transformed 221 Appendix 1. Chronological List of Campanelli Developments, Massachusetts and Rhode Island 233 Appendix 2. Stoltzner Business History 234 Appendix 3. Interviews with Original Buyers or Their Children 235 Abbreviations 244 Notes 244 Bibliography 273 Illustration Credits 295 Index 296
- Author BiographyBarbara Miller Lane is Andrew W. Mellon Professor Emeritusin the Humanities and Research Professor in Growth and Structure of Cities at Bryn Mawr College. Her books include Architecture and Politics in Germany, 1918-1945, National Romanticism and Modern Architecture, and Housing and Dwelling.
- PrizesWinner of PROSE Award in Architecture & Urban Planning, Association of American Publishers 2016 and Historic Preservation Book Prize, University of Mary Washington's Center for Historic Preservation 2016 and Athenaeum Literary Award (for Art and Architecture), The Athenaeum of Philadelphia 2015.
Best-selling in History & Military
Save on History & Military
- £12.31Trending at £13.94
- £11.95Trending at £17.51
- £12.31Trending at £13.93
- £13.77Trending at £20.01
- £31.88Trending at £36.35
- £6.76Trending at £12.09
- £6.78Trending at £12.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.