All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHelps you gain a comprehensive understanding of chemistry and see how it relates to health science. In this book, as you explore topics such as botulin toxin as a cosmetic agent, implications for the use of antibiotics, the Atkins diet, and ultraviolet sunscreen, you will see how useful the study of chemistry is to so many aspects of your life.
- Author BiographyShawn O. Farrell, a native of Northern California, received his B.S. in biochemistry from University of California, Davis, studying carbohydrate metabolism. He completed his Ph.D. in biochemistry at Michigan State University, where he focused on the study of fatty acid metabolism. Dr. Farrell became interested in biochemistry while in college, as it was relevant to his passion for bicycle racing. He raced competitively for 15 years and now officiates bicycle races worldwide. He has taught biochemistry lecture and laboratory courses at Colorado State University for 16 years and now works for USCycling. Professor Farrell has written scientific journal articles about specific research projects and about laboratory teaching, as well as articles for sports publications, such as Salmon, Trout, and Steelheader magazine. He is co-author with Mary Campbell on BIOCHEMISTRY, 7e (Cengage Learning). William H. Brown is emeritus professor of chemistry at Beloit College, where he was twice named Teacher of the Year. His teaching responsibilities include organic chemistry, advanced organic chemistry, and, more recently, special topics in pharmacology and drug synthesis. He received his Ph.D. from Columbia University under the direction of Gilbert Stork and did postdoctoral work at California Institute of Technology and the University of Arizona. Frederick Bettelheim was a distinguished university research professor at Adelphi University and a visiting scientist at the National Eye Institute. He co-authored seven editions of INTRODUCTION TO GENERAL, ORGANIC, AND BIOCHEMISTRY, ORGANIC CHEMISTRY, and several Laboratory Manuals. He is also the author of EXPERIMENTAL PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY and co-author of numerous monographs and research articles. Professor Bettelheim received his Ph.D. from the University of California, Davis. Omar Torres received his undergraduate degree in Chemistry from Texas A&M University in 1998 and his graduate degree in Inorganic Chemistry from UCLA in 2001. He has experience in teaching, research (inorganic, organic, and analytical) and academic administration. Professor Torres taught both inorganic and organic chemistry at UCLA, where he earned two UCLA Department of Chemistry Awards for Excellence in Teaching for the 1998-1999 and 1999-2000 school years. In addition, Professor Torres has worked at the Dow Chemical Company (Freeport, TX) in the area of Analytical Quality Control, developing and implementing new technologies for various plant operators and analytical scientists. He is currently Dean of Science at the College of the Canyons. Mary K. Campbell was Professor Emeritus of chemistry at Mount Holyoke College, where she taught biochemistry, general chemistry, and physical chemistry, as well as advised undergraduates working on biochemical research projects. Her avid interest in writing led to the publication of many highly successful editions of this textbook. Originally from Philadelphia, Dr. Campbell received her Ph.D. from Indiana University and completed postdoctoral work in biophysical chemistry at Johns Hopkins University. Her areas of interest included researching the physical chemistry of biomolecules, specifically, spectroscopic studies of protein-nucleic acid interactions. She was also coauthor with Shawn Farrell on BIOCHEMISTRY, 8th Edition (Cengage Learning), as well as several editions of GENERAL, ORGANIC, AND BIOCHEMISTRY by Bettelheim, Brown, Campbell, Farrell, and Torres.
- Author(s)Frederick A. Bettelheim,Mary K. Campbell,Omar Torres,Shawn O. Farrell,William H. Brown
- PublisherCengage Learning, Inc
- Date of Publication31/01/2015
- GenreScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationFlorence
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCengage Learning, Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight2155 g
- Width225 mm
- Height285 mm
- Spine40 mm
- Edition Statement11th Revised edition
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £4.37Trending at £4.51
- £9.51Trending at £9.95
- £2.70Trending at £4.00
- £8.89Trending at £10.49
- £6.35Trending at £7.34
- £9.81Trending at £12.44
- £6.88Trending at £7.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.