All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £8.64Trending at £8.97
- £4.37Trending at £4.56
- £9.51Trending at £10.07
- £8.79Trending at £12.98
- £2.81Trending at £4.00
- £8.89Trending at £10.38
- £6.35Trending at £7.98
About this product
- DescriptionPresents a fresh approach to the study of Jamaican place names. This book offers clues to the culture and national origins of the dominant planter population who were the major name-givers but also include many names with distinctive Jamaican 'creole' meanings.
- Author BiographyB.W. Higman is William Keith Hancock Professor of History in the History Program, Research School of Social Sciences, Australian National University; and Professor Emeritus, University of the West Indies. His award winning publications include Slave Population and Economy in Jamaica, 1807-1834; Jamaica Surveyed: Plantation Maps and Plans of the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries; Montpelier, Jamaica: A Plantation Community in Slavery and Freedom, and Plantation Jamaica, 1750-1850: Capital and Control in a Colonial Economy. His most recent book is Jamaican Food: History, Biology, Culture. B.J. Hudson is Adjunct Professor in the School of Urban Development, Queensland University of Technology, Australia. From 1971 to 1985, he was a member of the Department of Geography at the University of the West Indies, Jamaica. In addition to his academic work at the University of the West Indies, he has served as an urban and regional planner for the governments of Jamaica and Grenada. His major books include Cities on the Shore: The Urban Littoral Frontier; The Waterfalls of Jamaica: Sublime and Beautiful Objects; and Queensland: Geographical Perspectives.
- Author(s)B. J. Hudson,B. W. Higman
- PublisherUniversity of the West Indies Press
- Date of Publication15/05/2009
- GenreRegional History
- Place of PublicationKingston
- Country of PublicationJamaica
- ImprintUniversity of the West Indies Press
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.