All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £7.48Trending at £7.75
- £7.20Trending at £9.00
- £9.51Trending at £9.96
- £10.43Trending at £11.83
- £24.99Trending at £33.59
- £9.08Trending at £10.49
- £12.98Trending at £14.21
About this product
- DescriptionReflecting the increased use of English as lingua franca in today's university education, this volume maps the interplay and competition between English and other tongues in a learning community that in practice is not only bilingual but multilingual.
- Author BiographyHartmut Haberland is Professor in German Language and the Sociolinguistics of Globalization at Roskilde University, Denmark, and the leader of the research group An Ethnography of Language Encounters: Language and Interaction in the Globalized Corporation (LINGCORP). He founded the Journal of Pragmatics with Jacob Mey in 1977 and is presently co-editor of Pragmatics and Society and Acta Linguistica Hafniensia. His current research interest is in the pragmatics and sociolinguistics of multilingualism. Dorte Lonsmann is an Assistant Professor at Copenhagen Business School and a member of the LINGCORP research group. Her research interests include English as a global language, language ideologies and language choice. She wrote her PhD thesis on the use of English as a corporate language in Danish companies and has also published on language and identity in the computer gaming subculture. She currently investigates language ideologies and social categorisation in multilingual workplaces. Bent Preisler is Professor Emeritus of English Language and Sociolinguistics at Roskilde University, Denmark. He is the founder and former director of the international research center for the study of Cultural and Linguistic Practices in the International University (CALPIU). Research includes works on the structure and functions of English, English as an international language and its influence on other languages. Author of a book, in Danish, on The Danes and the English language (1999).
- Date of Publication27/06/2013
- GenreEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Series TitleMultilingual Education
- Series Part/Volume Number5
- Place of PublicationDordrecht
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Content Note7 black & white tables, biography
- Weight567 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byBent Preisler,Berit Gehrke,Dorte Lonsmann,Hartmut Haberland
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.