All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Charles Protzman,George Mayzell,Joyce Kerpchar
- PublisherApple Academic Press Inc.
- Date of Publication01/12/2014
- GenreMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationOakville
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintApple Academic Press Inc.
- Content Note104 black & white illustrations, 28 black & white tables
- Weight612 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Table Of ContentsIntroduction to Lean The Need for Change National and Global Competition Challenges for the Healthcare Worker Lean and Layoffs Traditional Healthcare Model Introduction - So What is Lean? Lean and Hospitals What Results can you Expect? The CEO and Lean Typical Lean Metrics and Outcomes Potential Lean Returns by Department Typical Results/Return on Investments (ROI) and Implementing Lean Lean and Systems Thinking Boiled Frog Syndrome Systems Thinking Principles Viewing the Hospital with Systems Thinking What is a Lean Business Delivery System? Lean Business Delivery System Vision Understanding the Value of the Lean Business Delivery System Just In Time: The First Pillar of the Toyota Production System Model An Example of One of the Rocks-Short-Staffed Jidoka-The Second Pillar of the Toyota Production System Jidoka Means: Never Pass on a Bad Part or Patient Applying Jidoka to Healthcare The Top of the Toyota House-Respect for Humanity Lean is a Journey Batching vs. Lean Thinking and Flow Batching vs. Lean Thinking and Flow Batching vs. Flow in a Healthcare Environment Bathing Examples Process Definition Batching Systems Why People Love to Batch? One-Piece/Patient Flow One-Piece Flow Example Group Technology Productivity - Definition Batching The Domino Effect Peak Demand Examples of Batching in Healthcare Chart Preparation Application of One-Piece Flow to Healthcare Flow-One-Piece Flow or Small Lot Lean and Change Management Implementing Lean is about Balance Lean Culture Change Paradigms Change Equation C Compelling Need to Change Why Change? V Vision N Next Steps Change and What's In It For Me Lean and Change Management Lean and Organizational Change - Right Seat on the Right Bus Resistance to Change Changes... Highs and Lows Rule of Unintended Consequences and Bumps in the Road Change is a Funny Thing We are all Interconnected but not Typically Measured that Way Horse Analogy Comparison to Where We are Today Employee Suggestion Systems Barriers to Change Most Loved Words Does Your Organization have Sacred Cows? Leadership and Organizational Changes Communication, Change and Lean Summary Lean Foundation Lean Foundation Baseline in the Basics Model Think-See-Act Lean System Lean Implementation Approach Utilizing the Basics Model A Customer Service Story Baseline Metrics Data, Revenue, and Hospitals The Impact of Data on Lean - Process Focused Metrics Customer Satisfaction Voice of the Customer Surveys The VIP Visit Easy to Do Business With Centralized = Batching What Does All This Have to Do with Hospitals? Customer Value-Added Proposition Customer Quality Index Baseline the Process Value Stream Map (VSM) the Process Value Stream Discussion Value Stream Mapping and Healthcare Value Streams Objectives Traditional Hospital Systems - SILOS Lean Goals Parts of a Value Stream Map Value Stream Map Icons Value Stream Map Definitions Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5 Current State Value Stream Mapping Ideal State Future State Value Stream Mapping Value Stream Map Project Lists, Prioritization Matrix, and Tracking Value Stream Layout Maps (sometimes referred to as Skitumi maps) Baselining the Process-Data Collection and Analysis-Current State Takt Time/Production Smoothing Available Time Customer Demand Peak Demand Cycle Time Cycle Time and Takt Time-What's The Difference? Designing Cycle Time to Takt Time Length of Stay (LOS) Length of Stay (LOS) Length of Stay is Directly Correlated to Inventory Length of Stay-A Key Metric Reducing Length of Stay Number of Staff Required Total Labor Time
- Author BiographyW. Protzman, III, MBA, CPM is a Shingo Prize-winning author and internationally renowned Lean consultant with over 31 years' experience in materials and operations management. He spent more than 13 years with AlliedSignal, now Honeywell, where he was an aerospace strategic operations manager and the first AlliedSignal Lean Master. He has received numerous special recognition and cost-reduction awards. Charles was an external consultant for DBED's World Class Maryland Consortium while he was with AlliedSignal. He had input into the resulting World Class Criteria document and assisted in the first three initial DBED World Class Company Assessments. Charles has taught students in Lean principles and Total Quality from all over the world. In November of 1997, Charles Protzman formed Business Improvement Group, LLC (B.I.G.). B.I.G. is located in Baltimore, Maryland and specializes in implementing Lean Thinking. Charles has spent the last 18 years implementing successful Lean product line conversions, kaizen events, and administrative business system improvements (transactional Lean) across the globe. Charles participated in numerous benchmarking and site visits including a two-week trip to Japan in June 1996 where he worked with Hitachi in a kaizen event. He is a Master facilitator and trainer in TQM, total quality speed, facilitation, career development, change management, benchmarking, leadership, systems thinking, high performance work teams, team building, Myers Briggs Styles Indicator, Lean thinking and supply chain management. He also participated in Baldridge Examiner and Six Sigma management courses. He was an assistant program manager during Desert Storm for the Patriot missile-to-missile fuse development and production program. Joyce Kerpchar, PA is a Shingo Prize-winning author and health care expert, with over 30 years of healthcare industry experience and currently serves as a director at Florida Hospital Orlando, which is part of the Adventist Health System, an acute-care, tertiary hospital caring for more than 1.5 million patients a year. She joined Florida Hospital in 2001, and has held a variety of roles, as interim director of strategic for surgical services, director of the Institute for Surgical Advancement, a senior consultant implementing Lean across the eight campuses in a variety of clinical departments, is a Six Sigma Black Belt and is a certified MBTI instructor, product and project manager roles developing and implementing software applications. She began her career as a board certified physician's assistant in cardiovascular and thoracic surgery and primary care medicine. Prior to joining Florida Hospital, she held a variety of administrative positions in healthcare-related industries, which included managed care operations and contracting for a PruCare/Prudential Healthcare who served 200,000 members in nine counties in Central Florida, Product Management for Avio Corporation, a provider of information technology for ambulatory healthcare organization, and was a partner in a consulting firm which specialized in business and market entry strategy for high tech start-ups. Ms. Kerpchar is passionate about leveraging Lean in healthcare processes, to eliminate waste and reduce errors, to improve the overall quality and reduce the cost of providing healthcare. Dr. George Mayzell, MD, MBA, FACP is the senior chief medical officer and chief clinical integration officer for Adventist Midwest Health. He joined the organization in January 2013 after serving as CEO of Health Choice and senior vice president of Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare in Memphis, Tenn. Dr. Mayzell has more than 30 years of experience in medicine and is a board certified internist and geriatrician. He received his medical degree from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey and his MBA from Jacksonville University. He previously served as senior medical director of managed care for University of Florida and Shands Hospi
Best-selling in Health, Treatments & Medicine
Save on Health, Treatments & Medicine
- £64.15Trending at £79.73
- £25.00Trending at £38.42
- £17.90Trending at £19.93
- £30.65Trending at £31.40
- £28.56Trending at £32.36
- £9.12Trending at £10.04
- £7.54Trending at £9.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.