All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRobert Redford directs and stars in this ode to political activism. Boasting a powerhouse cast that also includes Meryl Streep and Tom Cruise, the film features three storylines centred on the Iraq war. Cruise is Jasper Irving, a rising Republican senator who has summoned Janine Roth (Streep), the head journalist at a large news corporation, to sell her on the government's new military strategy. It's his hope that she in turn will sell the public on the idea. Meanwhile, a history professor (Redford) is trying to convince one of his more promising students to strive to make a difference in the world. Professor Malley believes Todd Hayes (Andrew Garfield) to be a bright young man, and he wants to know why Todd has become so apathetic about his schoolwork, and, after the two banter back and forth about the nature of activism, Malley tells him about two of his former students, Ernest and Arian (Michael Pena and Derek Luke), both of whom are currently serving in Iraq. Unbeknownst to Malley, at that very moment, Ernest and Arian are engaging in the exact military strategy that Senator Irving is discussing with Roth. Their mission has just gone terribly awry, and the men have fallen into enemy territory. So the senator and journalist argue, the professor and student debate, and all the while the wounded soldiers wait desperately for rescue. These disparate storylines slowly build and converge, culminating in a blaring statement about civic responsibility and social conscience.<BR>Cruise and Streep are a delight to watch, and their battle of words gives the most heat to the film. As one might expect, it casts an extremely critical eye at the state of American politics in the opening decade of the 21st century. However, it veers toward hope and a call to action. Redford, himself a longtime activist, appears to be sending an open letter to America: turn off the celebrity coverage and get involved.
- Leading Role 1Robert Redford
- Director 1Robert Redford
- Leading Role 2Andrew Garfield
- Leading Role 3Derek Luke
- Additional Roles byTom Cruise,Michael Pena
- ProducerMatthew Michael Carnahan,Andrew Hauptman,Tracy Falco
- ScreenwriterMatthew Michael Carnahan
- Release FormatDVD
- Release Year2008
- Additional GenreGeneral
- Running Time88 minutes
Most relevant reviews
- im_sonic14 Jun, 2009by
ANOTHER FOR MY COLLECTION
I DECIDED TO BUY THIS DVD AS I AM BOTH A TOM CRUISE AND MERYLL STREEP FAN. I WAS A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED THOUGH. THIS IS A FILM THAT TAKES A WHILE TO GET GOING. BE PATIENT.
- deemary719 Aug, 2008by
lions for lambs
i bought it for the cast in it.. if ound it boring from trailers and ads on it i was very disappointed..
- colin11106 Jul, 2008by
Excellent dialogue and acting redeem weak story ending.
This was a frustrating film in that the first half built up into 3 episodic stories and when one story got interesting it moved into the next story and so on. But even so all 3 stories were interesting up to half way. From then it went downhill. The 2 soldiers story got bogged down and ended predictably, the University story ended up as an unsatisfactory draw, and the Senator publicity story kept going only due to the very fine acting of Streep and Tom boy. However the film has some superb dialogue and acting and this redeems the film which could have done with a better storyline especially in the Army and University stories.
- paw1967006 Jun, 2008by
Lions For Lambs Starring: Meryl Streep , Robert Redford
A gripping action drama about two soldiers trapped behind enemy lines in Afghanistan, fighting for freedom – and their very lives. Unfolding in real-time, Lions For Lambs tells the powerful story of an ambitious senator (Cruise), a journalist (Streep) chasing a hot story, and two soldiers sent on a secret, perilous mission. As arguments and bullets fly, their stories are woven ever more tightly together, revealing the delicate line that separates the lion and the lamb within each of us… Category: Drama General Director: Robert Redford Starring: Meryl Streep , Robert Redford , Andrew Garfield , Derek Luke , Tom Cruise , Michael Pena Released 21 March 2008
Best-selling in DVDs & Blu-rays
Save on DVDs & Blu-rays
- £15.95Trending at £16.15
- £33.99Trending at £43.66
- £23.99Trending at £24.28
- £21.99Trending at £25.98
- £9.16Trending at £18.10
- £5.59Trending at £10.50
- £46.79Trending at £59.90