Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- £2.39Free P&P
- New condition
- Sold by dawlishboy
- Est. delivery by 25 Aug
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe fourth screen adaptation of Louisa May Alcott's classic 1869 novel, LITTLE WOMEN, is given a realistic and rounded treatment by screenwriter Jo Swicord and Australian director Gillian Armstrong, whose perspective emphasises a feminist tone. The story chronicles the lives of a mother and four daughters and their daily toils during the Civil War in the absence of their father, a Union army chaplain. Winona Ryder (in an Oscar-nominated performance) is vibrant as Jo, the least conventional of the sisters. Christian Bale captures the ebullience of their neighbour, Laurie, whose company Jo enjoys so much it seems inevitable that they will end up together. Kirsten Dunst (at age 12) gives a fiery performance as the younger Amy, proving even more willful than Jo; Claire Danes brings a mysterious otherworldliness to Beth. LITTLE WOMEN, touchingly rendered, has many subtle moments and an appropriately moving visual sense to accompany the narrative. Susan Sarandon and Gabriel Byrne also star in this well-crafted film.
- Leading Role 1Winona Ryder
- Director 1Gillian Armstrong
- Leading Role 2Gabriel Byrne
- Leading Role 3Trini Alvarado
- Additional Roles bySusan Sarandon,Eric Stoltz,Christian Bale,Samantha Mathis,Mary Wickes,Kirsten Dunst,Claire Danes
- Release FormatDVD
- Release Year1999
- Additional GenreGeneral
- Subtitle LanguagesArabic,Czech,Danish,Dutch,English,Finnish,French,German,Greek,Hebrew,Hindi,Hungarian,Icelandic,Italian,Norwegian,Polish,Portuguese,Spanish,Swedish,Turkish
- Running Time113 minutes
Most relevant reviews
- chris_j196716 May, 2016by
Cosy movie with great actors
Entertaining story which leaves you all fuzzy inside - a movie that you can see many times!
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
- jubeator07 Apr, 2014by
Beautifully filmed. Lovely colours and decor. Touching story.
This film was recommended to me and it was worth while getting it. Watched with my 11 year old daughter.
- lizzie_huxtable...02 Nov, 2011by
A new treasure for rainy days and Sundays
A favourite book from my childhood, telling the story of four American girls growing up during the Civil War; the film has stood up very well to the passing of time, mainly due to the way it managed to portray the high moral tone of the family without appearing preachy or one-dimensional. A rich performance from Winona Ryder as Jo, the dynamic heart of the story. My teenage boys sat enthralled, only complaining at the end that it was a bit sad! So all those war games haven't hardened their hearts after all!!
- jaciz5629 Oct, 2011by
Great Chick Flick and very good value for money 5*
An excellent film!! - to snuggle up and enjoy. Great acting, a lovely story, with a happy ending. A brilliant chick flick. 5*
- 1965ljh13 Jul, 2011by
A true classic, at a great price.
Pull the curtains grab a cuppa and sit with your feet up and watch a true classic movie, it is a brilliant rainy day film, it is well acted and tells the story beautifully, have the tissues nearby though!I used to own this on video (if you can remember them?) and saw this and decided to get it on dvd as I loved it so much.
Best-selling in DVDs & Blu-rays
Save on DVDs & Blu-rays
- £15.95Trending at £16.15
- £33.99Trending at £43.66
- £23.99Trending at £24.28
- £21.99Trending at £25.98
- £9.16Trending at £18.10
- £5.59Trending at £10.50
- £46.79Trending at £59.90